Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viable HTTPS caching options right now?

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by Yukinarija, Nov 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Yukinarija

Yukinarija Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hey,

I've been looking around researching for quite a while now. Basically we're running servers that cater to shared hosting usage or some exclusive standalone project, these servers run WHM/cPanel as a base.

We would like to start using memcached (for where it's optimized in the code) and some sort reverse proxy to generate static content and increase performance. I see lots of great options like Nginx, Varnish and various products made from them.

1) I looked at options like Varnish, but it seems it doesn't support HTTPS/SSL and every website of ours is only HSTS HTTPS. I suppose an option is to configure SSL Termination (Nginx or Apache proxy), but then - the cPanel/WHM installation becomes quite custom, how would that cope with updates?

2) Then there are projects like Engintron, that I really appreciate, then again they don't support HTTPS/SSL. Here as an alternative you could just drop in your own Nginx reverse proxy in front of Apache.

3) mod_cache? I see that theresn't that much information on it, as it's not very popular to use.

In the end, lots of great products, but I am a bit worried about customizing the default installation too much, to a point where it becomes a mess or WHM upgrade brakes something. Maybe somebody could give some tips from their experience?

Thanks.

2. Yukinarija

Yukinarija Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Mmm.. Can't edit - running into spam errors, so I will just post it here.

To me, it looks like installing Nginx (or Engintron, when HTTPS is supported) as a reverse proxy is the most simple idea? Port changes could be done via WHM to keep them across updates/changes and Nginx itself run as an independent service.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

We do have several users that install applications such as Nginx. You'd likely want to use a third-party plugin so it automatically handles the configuration and integrates with cPanel. Search for terms such as "Nginx" or "Varnish" on our forums and you should see several relevant threads. I also encourage you to vote and add feedback to the feature request that's open for native Nginx proxied support:

Nginx proxied to Apache (not standalone Nginx)

Thank you.

4. Yukinarija

Yukinarija Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the response Michael,
    I upvoted the request and indeed I will make a search and look at the various options. Are there any recommended-by-cPanel plugins that are safe to use?

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator