The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

View Usage/Stats and Manage?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DjiXas, Nov 5, 2009.

1. DjiXas

DjiXas Well-Known Member

Hi,

Is it possible for reseller to see a total bw and disk space usage for all his accounts in WHM? As I can only see that logged in as root and going to reseller center.

2. thewebhostingdi

thewebhostingdi Well-Known Member

Please make sure that you have allowed View Bandwidth usage for the particular reseller to check the bandwidth usage.

3. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Resellers using WHM to View Usage Information of Disk Space and Bandwidth Transfer

Resellers may view their unique totals for disk space usage and bandwidth transfer usage via WHM at the following menu path:
    WHM: Main >> Account Functions >> Create a New Account
    Related Documentation: CreateAccount < AllDocumentation/WHMDocs < TWiki

While logged-in as a reseller, the information is displayed in a vertical table labeled "Account Creation Resource Information" and is located on the side directly to the right of the account creation form.

Additionally, the following pages in WHM may also be used for accessing related information and functions:
    WHM: Main >> Account Information >> List Accounts
    WHM: Main >> Account Information >> View Bandwidth Usage
    WHM: Main >> Account Functions >> Limit Bandwidth Usage
    WHM: Main >> Account Functions >> Quota Modification >> Show All Accounts

Related Documentation:
    AcctInfo < AllDocumentation/WHMDocs < TWiki
    ListAccounts < AllDocumentation/WHMDocs < TWiki
    ViewBandwidth < AllDocumentation/WHMDocs < TWiki
    AcctFunctions < AllDocumentation/WHMDocs < TWiki

Via root access to the Reseller Center in WHM, the following access privileges may be granted to ensure all of the above are available:
    Standard Privileges:
    > Account Information
    >> List Accounts
    >> View Account Bandwidth Usage
    > Account Management
    >> Create
    Super Privileges:
    > Account Management
    >> Bandwidth Limiting Modification
    >> Quota Modification
    Cautionary Warning: The above two "Super Privileges" will allow circumvention of account package limits if you are not using resource limits (defined on the same page of Edit Privileges/Nameservers in the WHM Reseller Center).

Reseller privileges may be granted via WHM at the following menu path:
    WHM: Main >> Resellers >> Reseller Center >> Reseller Modifications >> [select a reseller from the drop-down menu] >> Edit Privileges/Nameservers
    Related Documentation: EditPrivs < AllDocumentation/WHMDocs < TWiki

4. paulkoan

paulkoan Well-Known Member

Well that was in an unexpected location. Can you help me with this then - where in WHM root can I see how much disk space / bandwidth usage against resource limits?

The Reseller Center report only seems to show reseller usage against their own allocations.

Same goes for the main bandwidth report.

Is there some way we can report usage against resource limits?

5. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    For root or resellers with root privileges, the following area in the Reseller Center may be used:
    WHM: Main >> Resellers >> Reseller Center >> Reseller Modifications >> View usage/stats and manage (suspend, terminate, etc.)
    Documentation: View Usage/Stats and Manage (suspend, terminate, etc)

This was also answered in part by my last reply; to help clarify, the following quote details information where root and resellers are able to view disk space and bandwidth transfer usage as compared to the individual user account disk quotas and bandwidth transfer limits.

6. paulkoan

Thanks cPanelDon,

However as I said (perhaps unclearly) the Usage Stats report does not show usage againt *Resource Limits* but against allocations - and a reseller that can oversell can have any allocations they please.

I am looking for a report that would show me (preferably on one page) all resellers their resource limits and the usage against those limits).

Unless I am suffering a bug and this report is supposed to show resource limits?

Cheers,

Paul

7. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Thank you for clarifying further; I believe I misunderstood (thinking primarily of per-user-account resource limits and usage). If you're referring to reseller account creation resource limits compared to the resource usage totals of each reseller I am not aware of a specific report that includes this at the present time; however, I believe this idea is an excellent candidate for a feature request. I recommend posting a feature request to have the WHM Reseller Center include a report of the desired per-reseller resource usage totals comparing it to per-reseller account creation limits.

For reference and quick access, here is our Feature Requests forum where the above idea may be submitted:
    Feature Requests for cPanel and WHM - cPanel Forums

8. paulkoan

I am astonished it isn't there. If this needs to be a feature request rather than something blindly obviously required then cpanel is off their game I would say. Once you enable overselling, none of the usage reports have any value.

Particularly as a resource limit is only a barrier to new account creation, not a hard limit on usage - so a reseller can go over limit through over selling, and we have no way to quickly see the usage status of our resellers.

What is the best work around?

1) Reseller centre, open Edit Privileges and note resource limits
    2) Reseller center, view stats, compare to noted resource limits
    3) Next reseller, go to 1

Is there a better way?

9. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    The described 2-step process will work to compare the defined per-reseller account creation resource limits versus the resource usage information.

10. paulkoan

Hello cPanelDon

Thanks for your reply, but it looks like I wasn't being clear again. I understood that this process would work - I described it after all. My question was whether it was the best way.

Particularly as for 50 resellers this would be a 100 step process, not a 2 step process.

I cannot find an API call either, so we can fix this in the meantime. Is there one?

11. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    To simplify the process (and minimize the steps as per your example) it will be necessary to submit a feature request using the available method as was suggested earlier; this is the best method and will ensure the idea is considered. Submitting a feature request will increase the attention for the idea and it will also allow for others to express interest and offer additional feedback and contribute relevant discussion. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

There is an existing API call for the WHM Reseller Center feature "View usage/stats and manage" but as you noticed the output does not yet include the requested criteria and it may benefit from having per-reseller account creation limits included for comparison, hence why a feature request is appropriate.

For reference here is the documentation of the aforementioned API call:
    List Reseller's Accounts' Information — resellerstats

12. paulkoan

Hello cPanelDon,

Thanks for your help. I understand that if I submit a feature request as described earlier, then at some point in the future a feature may be included that would enable me to see quickly which resellers are overusing, and I was simply expressing surprise that this has been overlooked.

In any case, my question wasn't about how to get this accomplished in the future, but how best to get this accomplished today. With existing servers running cpanel that are in production and operational right now.

My interpretatioin of your answers are

1) There is no better way than to look at the resource limits set for each reseller, then look at the resources used by each reseller, one by one.

2) There is no way to extract this information via the API.

I am just trying to be clear - I don't want to set up a process where we have administrators spending hours trawling through these stats each week if there is a better way we can do it.

I am also assuming that none of the email notifications for usage refer to resource limits either? So a reseller themselves would not be aware that their customers had gone over the limit without manually checking in the Add New Account part of WHM?

13. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I am not aware of a different method via the interface or via existing XML-API functions than what was described earlier; I believe the described interpretation is a reasonable conclusion.

For reference (and or as a reminder if it's already known), the reseller account-creation resource limits configuration is stored in the following file that could be parsed by script or manually viewed as needed:
    Code:
    /var/cpanel/reseller-limits.yaml
    For additional information on remote access, API usage and development-related inquiries I recommend posting in the following forums area:
    Developer Discussions - cPanel Forums

To help clarify, please note that reseller account-creation resource limits are distinctly different from and apply differently than per-user-account resource limits; at the present time it is only the per-user-account resource limits that are applicable to the configurable e-mail notifications.

14. paulkoan

Ah, a small amount of light shining on this! Thanks, I wasn't aware of that file, and that at least puts us in a position where we can automate emailing customers that overuse.

Thanks again for your help.

Paul

15. HostsVault

HostsVault Registered

I guess this usage box doesn't show on cpanel 11.25 (reseller whm)

16. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Resellers may view their usage as detailed earlier in this thread. Please reference the following post for details about where to find the information via WHM: cPanel Forums - View Single Post - View Usage/Stats and Manage?

17. paulkoan

Hello cpaneldon,

We appreciate you trying to help, but the link you keep posting does not show what is asked for, which is a list of the total bandwidth usage and disk usage for a reseller where resource allocations are in use.

The best that WHM can do right now is show individual reseller account usage, and this is without comparison to the allocated quotas for the reseller account itself.

The bottom line is this: There is no easy method for seeing what an overselling reseller account is using against their allocated resource quotas. There is no over use alerting mechanism for either the host or the reseller, and there is no one page report that lists resellers, their resource allocation and what they are using against that resource allocation.

In addition, resource limits place on a reseller account are only applied on account creation, so a new account cannot be created when they are overusing literal disk space. This is the only time the resource allocation is checked and limits are placed.

Currently, manual checks are the only way to monitor usage.

I think this is the information people will want when they happen across this thread.