sparek-3

Aug 10, 2002
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The /home/virtfs consists of bind mounts. It's not actually taking up disk space, but will show up as used disk space when you use du. Don't delete or mess with the /home/virtfs directory, doing so will severely damage your server.

Your backups are probably in /backup although I cannot be certain. Your drive is partitioned in such a way that / is the only partition, and everything is under / except for /mnt/sdb which has /dev/sdb mounted.

Reactions: cPWilliamL

toffe

Oct 3, 2017
Finland
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The /home/virtfs consists of bind mounts. It's not actually taking up disk space, but will show up as used disk space when you use du. Don't delete or mess with the /home/virtfs directory, doing so will severely damage your server.

Your backups are probably in /backup although I cannot be certain. Your drive is partitioned in such a way that / is the only partition, and everything is under / except for /mnt/sdb which has /dev/sdb mounted.
Thank you for your answer. I have no idea what is eating up the diskspace. When I look in the cpanel itemjungle is just 8.57gb not 18gb when I look in virtfs. Same goes with the user nordcart

sparek-3

Aug 10, 2002
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Just ignore /home/virtfs

The screenshot you have shows /home/itemjungle using 8.3GB that lines up pretty close to the 8.57GB you are saying shows up in itemjungle's cPanel (I would suspect that you ran another du -shc /home/itemjungle it would show 8.6GB)

cPWilliamL

cP Technical Analyst II
Staff member
May 15, 2017
America
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Are you excluding virtfs? For example
Code:
du --exclude=/home/virtfs -sh /home/
As sparek pointed out, you should simply ignore the virtfs directory; it's a virtual filesystem used for jail shell. As it is a bind mount deleting contents in virtfs will delete your actual data. The documentation below may also be helpful:
VirtFS - Jailed Shell - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

sparek-3

Aug 10, 2002
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
du -shc /home is adding up /home and including /home/virtfs

But /home/virtfs is a bind mount. It's not really taking up disk space. It's mirroring files that already exist on the file system. But du is not able to differentiate this - and it's not suppose to.

If you REALLY want to know how much disk space is being used in /home then run

du -shc /home

Then run

du -shc /home/virtfs

Take the total from the du -shc /home command and subtract the total from du -shc /home/virtfs

Bottom line: you just have to ignore /home/virtfs

Edit: @cPWilliamL's command is probably better.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hi, this does still not add up to 33gb. If nordcart is 1gb, itemjungle 8.3gb and whm&cpanel 5gb? Where is the rest. I´m currently out of disk space
Hello,

The following document offers some helpful commands to use to determine where the space is coming from:

How to Manage your Hard Drive Space - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Also, is this a VPS? If so, check with your VPS provider to make sure it's not the hardware node itself that's limited on space.

Thank you.

sparek-3

Aug 10, 2002
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
What does

du -shc --exclude=/home/virtfs --exclude=/mnt/sdb --exclude=/proc /*

show?

You may need to invest in a server administrator to look into this for you.

You will have to systematically go through the directories on your server to find the largest ones and narrowing that down through each iteration.

toffe

Oct 3, 2017
Finland
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
What does

show?

You may need to invest in a server administrator to look into this for you.

You will have to systematically go through the directories on your server to find the largest ones and narrowing that down through each iteration.

Hi that command gives me:
12K /aquota.user
7.4M /bin
174M /boot
4.0K /cgroup
164K /dev
33M /etc
11G /home
658M /lib
27M /lib64
16K /lost+found
4.0K /media
8.0K /mnt
142M /opt
4.0K /razor-agent.log
21M /root
8.0K /run
16M /sbin
0 /scripts
4.0K /selinux
4.0K /srv
0 /sys
932K /tmp
6.3G /usr
2.6G /var
21G total

There is now 33gb used of 50gb on the disk. (screenshot attached)

Attachments

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
There is now 33gb used of 50gb on the disk. (screenshot attached)
Hello,

Were you able to check with your VPS provider to make sure it's not the hardware node itself that's limited on space (per my last response)?

Thank you.

toffe

Oct 3, 2017
Finland
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I think I found the solution. For some reason my additional disk gets unmounted now and then (mnt/sdb) which contains my backupfiles. When the additional disk gets unmounted, backups are still saved to mnt/sdb, but will then be on the main disk.

When I mount the disk again these files in mnt/sdb on the main disk, will be hidden

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

In "WHM >> Backup Configuration", this is controllable with the following option:

Mount Backup Drive as Needed

Thank you.