The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

virtfs lock file issue intermittenly affecting 1 cron job

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by destroydem, Mar 25, 2015.

1. destroydem

destroydem Registered

I have been getting the virtfs lock issue on one weekly cron job that runs once a week intermittently for almost 6 months.

attempt to lock file /home/virtfs/_lock/507 timed out after 25 attempts; lock still held by pid 9933
    Could not create lock file: /home/virtfs/_lock/507

What's stranger is while I am running a huge number of cron jobs on the server this is one of the simplest. its a a wget fileswitch.php cron job that renames 3 files to old and renames the new files created by the client to current. This job and only this job has encountered this problem and there doesnt appear to be any answers yet on a fix. removing the lockfile is not an option as this is a cron job intended to switch time sensitive material each week, further, the lockfile never exists when I check the server.

I am well aware there is another (merged) thread on the issue however nothing in the thread applies to this situation.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look? You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

3. destroydem

destroydem Registered

Hi Michael,

Sure. The ticket number is : 6306087

Thanks!

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    To update, it was determined this is happening due to the length of time it takes for the wget process to complete. The user is considering calling the script directly through PHP to see if it reduces the time it takes to complete the action.

Thank you.