The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

virtfs madness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by haz_, Aug 25, 2008.

1. haz_

haz_ Member

May 26, 2008
    As someone who would consider himself a fairly well-seasoned Linux sysadmin, I have just been burnt by attempting to remove /home/virtfs, and gathering by the number of threads that show up in a search, there are probably 100 other people who know what I'm going through.

For the love of god, why isn't this "feature" documented everywhere?!?! I don't think it would be excessive to include a warning everywhere there is mention of jailshell. Sticky it on every forum here. Just make people aware that the /home directory you thought would only contain user data actually links back to your entire system. I can't understand why cpanel wouldn't do more to protect us from ourselves. Rename it to "/home/virtfs-links-to-system-files-DO-NOT-RM".

And another common misconception seems to be that it will only be created if someone uses jailshell - I'm pretty sure it gets created even if someone uses sftp. So it seems the only way to prevent it ever being created would be to disable sftp subsystem in sshd config and ensure no-one ever gets a jailshell.

I have seen other calls to better provide a way of disabling this completely, I sure wish I'd known about it and had a choice to disable. I will never need jailshells, and could have lived without sftp.

Anyone have a surefire way to disable the monster that is /home/virtfs for good?