The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virtual dedicated server setup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bprinsloo, Aug 17, 2006.

1. bprinsloo

bprinsloo Registered

Aug 17, 2006
    I'm not sure what to search for, so I thought I just post this question here and see if someone could point me into the right direction.

I bought the Virtual dedicated server option at a hosting company with cPanel. Now, could someone with some experience please help me out on the following:-

1. Hostname ---- Can I use any valid name, or does it needs to be a registered domain name
    2. Nameserver IPs -- I have three IP's associated with this VDS, again, the names to use, should it be valid registered domains?

In both cases they recommend default names, but it doesn't ping, and I received no help in 12 hours from the helpdesk.

I know this might be stupid questions, but I have no experience with this setup.
  2. fwwebs

fwwebs Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2004
    Hostname: Generally people use a subdomain of a domain registered to them as a server name, however, it cannot be a domain hosted on the same server. For example if you own the domain mydomain.tld, you might name your server myfirstvps.mydomain.tld. All that you need to do then is have an A record for the subdomain added to your domains DNS record.

Nameservers: Yes, they must be valid registered domain names to work. You might use: ns1.mydomain.tld or ns1.myfirstvps.mydomain.tld and the same for the second: ns2.xxxxx. Lastly, have ns and A records added to your domains DNS record for the nameservers.

DNS Records: Whoever hosts your domains DNS records should know how to add the records. If you plan to host your own, use a free service like to host your domains DNS records.

DNS Records (x = IP address):
    domain.tld. 14400 IN A
    myfirstvps.mydomain.tld. 14400 IN A
    ns1 14400 IN A
    ns2 14400 IN A
    mydomain.tld. 14400 IN NS ns1.mydomain.tld.
    mydomain.tld. 14400 IN NS ns2.mydomain.tld.