The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virtual Name Servers, are they possible?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by betoranaldi, Dec 31, 2007.

1. betoranaldi

betoranaldi Well-Known Member

With direct admin I was able to create a virtual name server for a domain. this was helpful when I change my company's domain name. I was able to transfer all of the sites to a new server without impacting there domain name servers.

Now that I am transferring domains from directadmin to cpanel I was wondering if something similar was available, I don't want to have to tell my clients that they need to change some domain setting.

I want to make it a seamless as possible.

2. Kusno

Kusno Registered

How to do that?

3. Calibur747

Calibur747 Member

I don't understand exactly, why would you change your domain name on a server jump?

The best option is to set up both servers to reflect the same data, except of course the new server will have a new range of IPs, but so that each server has all of the domains and all of the client data.

Then, tell your directadmin server's DNS to point to the new IPs. There should be zero propagation time as the old server will just be pointing to the new one.