The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virtualization help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Karabaja, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Karabaja

Karabaja Active Member

I was thinking of getting a dedicated server and splitting the cost with a friend.
    But since my site has more traffic and more load I am worried if it might cause problems also slowing down my friends site.
    I don't know if that would happen or not as server is really good and should be able to withstand both sites but I'd like to be prepared.

Server comes with WHM/cPanel installed. Now my question is if I install OpenVZ on this server will Whm/cPanel stop working?
    If so is there a way around it?

And perhaps if someone has a suggestion on some more simple solution to separate CPU usage between two users. Memory is not really of concern.
    But my current server sometimes has high load issue. Although I am pretty sure it is caused by small scale syn flood attack and I'd get a hardware firewall for that. But I am not sure if that would help and I wouldn't risk moving to expensive server along with my friend and then to cause problems for his site.

2. d_t

d_t Well-Known Member

You can split it in two virtual servers using OpenVZ but you have to install cPanel VPS on each (and is better to install it on empty server). Overall performance is a bit lower than of your current configuration, but you have the advantage of controlling CPU/memory/disk usage for each VPS.

My advice is to keep current configuration if there is no problem yet and use some monitoring scripts to track server load (ConfigServer csf, watchmysql etc).