The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virus Scanning For Filesystem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by greetingsc, Apr 6, 2006.

1. greetingsc

greetingsc Active Member

Hi All,

I searched forums and couldn't find any information about filesystem anti-virus scanning. I have mailscanner and clamav installed (used chirpy's service), but I can't figure out whether clam av also scans the filesystem, uploaded files, etc.

A client asked about this to ensure when users uplaod documents using their content management system that they are scanned for virus so they aren't being distributed when other download the documents.

Does clamav do this, if not what are other software options. I would test to see if clam av blocks virus ladden files from being upload but I don't happen to have any viruses on hand.

Thanks,

Michael Card

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

ClamAV won't do anything unless employed to do it. In the case of MailScanner, it has specific settings to utilise ClamAV when installed on the server.

If the client wants their CMS to scan files, then that CMS must be coded to use ClamAV to scan files, which is a task for the application developer.

3. greetingsc

greetingsc Active Member

Thanks for the reply Chirpy

Are there general anti virus solutions for linux boxes the people are using? I.e. like norton or macfee for windows? I have heard of one or two for gui based linux, but I've never heard of ones for command-line linux.

Michael

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Actually, most of the major antivirus companies offer Linux server variants. NOD32 is a popular example:
    http://nod32.com/products/lfs.htm

Such commercial ones do often provide on-access scanning which may be what you're after, but will inevitably increase server load if everything is checked.

5. Snowman30

Snowman30 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    didnt there used to be a cpanel anti virus function that you could select to scan your account? Im sure i remember seeing it a while back but now that i look i see its not there anymore?

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yep, that's part of the clamavconnector. However, if you run MailScanner you must not install it - they're mutually exclusive.

7. Snowman30

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Thanks figured that was the case. Are there any alternatives or ways to get the mailscanner version of it to allow clients to scan their files?

8. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Nope, there's no options to do that with cPanel integration. IT'd require a third-party development to have both.

9. Snowman30

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I know this is a bit of an old discussion but i had forgotten about it.... till now...

be nice if there was a way to re-integrate it without the mail side of things so i can keep running mailscanner but allow clients to virus scan their files and folders

10. ramprage

ramprage Well-Known Member