The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VMware Tools 5.1 on Cpanel CentOS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by junglecom, Feb 28, 2013.

1. junglecom

junglecom Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I have a problem with cpanel and VMware tools.

Seems like cPanel is using the /var/temp folder for various things and is configured as noexec permissions. When a server is rebooted or crashes and is brought back up, VMware tools is not able to run again and requires a re-install each time.

Have anyone had this problem? or is there a workaround for this? What is the proper way to install vmware tools on cpanel so there is no conflict?

Thank you for your help,

Jake

#1 junglecom, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  2. junglecom

junglecom Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Reply from cPanel Support:

The configuration of /tmp and /var/tmp is handled by WHM/cPanel if our 'securetmp' script is used. The WHM/cPanel installer attempts to install 'securetmp' by default, however, it may fail to install if certain prerequisites are not met which would leave /tmp and /var/tmp in whatever state they were initially configured by the administrator during system installation. Without access to the system I can't tell you which is the case.

You should be able to see if it is installed by running:

chkconfig sercuretmp --list

If you see output like this, it is enabled:

securetmp 0: off 1: off 2: off 3: on 4: on 5: on 6: off

If 'securetmp' is being used, the default is to mount the directory with the 'noexec' option. We do not support doing this, but you could modify the /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/securetmp perl script to remove the 'noexec' mounting. Please keep in mind this script is going to get overwritten during the next WHM/cPanel upgrade unless you add it to /scripts/cpanelsync.exclude.

If 'securetmp' is not being used, then any configuration of /tmp and /var/tmp is completely up to the system administrator, WHM/cPanel would have no control over it. If this is the case, then tmp is likely being mounted from /etc/fstab and that file could be edited to remove the 'noexec' flag.

If you would like to disable securetmp entirely, then you can do so by running '/scripts/securetmp --uninstall' and then 'touch /var/cpanel/version/securetmp_disabled'.

I hope this answers your question, please let me know if I can be of further assistance.