The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VMWare, Xen, and others

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by brainus_tech, Jun 8, 2007.

1. brainus_tech

brainus_tech Member

Hi,

I'm currently running VMWare server to provide VPSes.
    Would there be any (major or minor) advantage or disadvantage in switching to Xen?

Your impressions, please!

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It depends upon several things.

If you are just going to plain Xen, rather than Xen Enterprise, you won't have a nice graphical interface for managing the Xen guests. There are 3rd party tools out there for that, but I don't have experience with them.

Xen will let you load Guests into LVM Logical partitons, giving you some better performance than the loopback file that VM Server uses (unless of course you are using RAW partitions with VMServer).

Personally, and I haven't done any benchmarking or real measuring, Xen guests "feels" faster on my test servers than VMWare Server guests.

As for migration, it depends upon how you have your VMware Guests configured. If they are the loopback file method, it will be a bit more work than if using partition level guests.

3. brainus_tech

brainus_tech Member

How like, it doesn't have a console like VMWare Server console?

I'm using a raw partition (I wonder it's the "directly connected partition" option, right?) with only one virtual machine (it's 260GB in size, and a dedicated disk for a specific customer). The others are on the normal "file" partition.

And about memory pooling? The thing I hate in VMWare is that it really holds a slice of memory for that specific VM, not allowing bursting nor optimal sharing, like for example Virtuozzo does (minimum warranted memory + maximum burstable memory). How does Xen deal with this, the VMware or the Virtuozzo way?

Intention would be to migrate only the Linux + Cpanel customers, so in fact the migration would be more of installing brand new CPanels and then only using the cpanel's own backup/restore functions for an easier approach - better than trying to move the VMs and converting filesystems.