The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VPN Client for cPanel server for email

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by sozotech, Sep 24, 2015.

1. sozotech

sozotech Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    One of the data centers we do business with has a large block of their address space blacklisted (/15). They have been slow to get off the black list so we are looking at a temporary work around to keep our clients emails from getting blocked.

Our thought is we would create a VPN connection to another data center we are in that has clean IP space and assign an IP from that range to the cPanel server that is blacklisted. We would then setup exim to use this VPN IP address as the origin for outbound mail.

That being said what would be the simplest VPN setup to accomplish this? We are running Centos 6 and I have seen recommendations of OpenvPN, PPTP, GRE, IPSec etc as options.

Since this is a temporary situation, what is going to be the easiest and quickest VPN solution that won't cause issues with cPanel?

Thanks for any advice!

Eric

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You would actually need to setup Exim on a remote server and then configure the cPanel server to use that remote mail server as a smart host. This third-party URL explains the process:

https://www.ndchost.com/wiki/mail/cpanel-smart-host

Thank you.

3. sozotech

sozotech Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yeah, I realize I could do a smart host but my goal was to have an IP address assigned to this server from a foreign DC and not use an intermediary email server.

Best regards,
    Eric

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There's no native support for that type of configuration. You could try implementing a VPN solution, but it's likely to require manual intervention that falls outside our scope of support. You may need to contact a system administrator for assistance with the implementation.

Thank you.