Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

VPS for dummies

Discussion in 'Security' started by notarocketscientist, Jan 25, 2018.

1. notarocketscientist

notarocketscientist Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,
    Being I am a noob to VPS and need some learning tools, I am wondering what the best book, website, or even Udemy course would be for me. I asked on a few other forums and the answers are either "pay for help" or "we don't know". Now I googled the title of the post and found many hits on what I need. But some good recommendations would be appreciated. Like what are the most important 2 or 3 things I need to set up in the security of my VPS? I already have the AV software set up but what about firewalls or ??
    Thank you,
    NARS

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    This is a great place to start:
    WebHost Manager - WHM User Documentation - Version 68 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Using the search tool top right corner of that page to search for Security, you find this top hit:
    Security - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

On that page is a list of important links you may or may not need now, but might in the future so it's good to have a look around at them.

One of the links there is this one:
    Tips to Make Your Server More Secure - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

You'll also find that by searching these forums when something comes up that you're unsure of on your server, that someone else has probably been there before you and there's a post about it here on these forums. :)

HTH!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    notarocketscientist likes this.
  3. notarocketscientist

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the info. I looked at an article in there when I was having trouble connecting to my AV scanner in my features list. I read it and realized there is some good help there. I just need to learn the "key words" as this is Linux and I am a Windows user. So just like HTML, once you learn the words or syntax, it gets easier. I just need to know the meaning of the acronyms like what is CRON? I see it looks like a place to schedule a task but what tasks can I schedule and what is the syntax to do it. You know, the basic noob questions. :)
    NARS

added: I just clicked the link you sent and I believe that is what the doctor ordered. Thanks!

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    This might be helpful.
    Newbie: Intro to cron

I found it by searching for your question, "what is CRON?" on google. :)

IMHO, don't get bogged down on the backend stuff too much if you don't need to. cPanel is all about automation. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. notarocketscientist

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks. I looked at my WHM and see I am running Centos 6.9 and cPanel and WHM 64.0 (build 42). I also have seen the following:
    "You must reboot the server to update the kernal." and have done the Graceful reboot but the version stays the same. How often is normal for that message to come up?

Also, I was reading about setting up cPHulk but its states that it is for WHM version 68. So do I have the ability to update that or do I contact my host or am I stuck with that version??
    Thanks,
    NARS

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

cPanel version 64 is at EOL (End Of Life) status. I recommend updating to a supported version of cPanel (e.g. cPanel version 68). Information on how to change your cPanel update preferences is available at:

Update Preferences - Version 68 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

As far as the kernel version, note the "Kernel Version" is different than the version of cPanel or CentOS. Updating your system's kernel (typically through the "yum update" command) will not alter the cPanel or CentOS version.

Thank you.

notarocketscientist likes this.
  7. notarocketscientist

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok, thanks for the info. I can see I will be in "noob" status for some time into the future as my head almost exploded with new questions after reading the Update Preferences. One step at a time I have to keep reminding myself. :)
    NARS

8. notarocketscientist

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok, so I logged into WHM and clicked on the cPanel update and it went through all the updating and finished. Then I rebooted the server as the graceful way never works so I did a forced reboot. Then I logged back in and I still show the same version (Centos 6.9 and cPanel and WHM 64.0 (build 42)). So what does that mean?
    Thanks,
    schemer

9. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The cPanel update logs are located in the following directory:

/var/cpanel/updatelogs/

Could you access the server via SSH as root and review the most recent log file in this directory to see if there were any error messages during the update process? Feel free to open a support ticket using the link in my signature if you are not comfortable doing this and we can take a closer look for you.

Thank you.

10. notarocketscientist

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Michael,
    Ok, thanks. I will get that info back to you soon. I think I even know how to get it. :)
    NARS

edit: I have the logs...can I just send them to you?

#10 notarocketscientist, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  11. notarocketscientist

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Does this help?

Code:
     [3594] error: Could not find suitable distribution for Requirement.parse('pyzor')
    [2018-01-26 10:31:25 -0700]      [3594] Searching for pyzor
    [2018-01-26 10:31:25 -0700]      [3594] Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/pyzor/
    [2018-01-26 10:31:25 -0700]      [3594] Couldn't find index page for 'pyzor' (maybe misspelled?)
    [2018-01-26 10:31:25 -0700]      [3594] Scanning index of all packages (this may take a while)
    [2018-01-26 10:31:25 -0700]      [3594] Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/
    [2018-01-26 10:31:25 -0700]      [3594] No local packages or download links found for pyzor
    [2018-01-26 10:31:25 -0700]      [3594] Queued spamd restart in the background.
    [2018-01-26 10:31:25 -0700]   58% complete
    [2018-01-26 10:31:25 -0700]   Processing: Checking PostgreSQL to ensure we can connect
    [2018-01-26 10:31:25 -0700]    - Processing command `/usr/local/cpanel/bin/postgrescheck --check-auth --reset-pass-on-fail`
    [2018-01-26 10:31:25 -0700]    

#11 notarocketscientist, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2018
  12. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

It doesn't look like that error lead to the update failure. Could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look?

Thank you.

13. notarocketscientist

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok, After a quick look at what is involved to do that I need to read and make sure I do it right. So it will be tomorrow...
    Thanks,
    NARS

14. notarocketscientist

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok so I gave it another try and came up with this so maybe I can fix it once I make some adjustments:

Code:
    [2018-01-27 10:56:49 -0700] W NOTE: A system upgrade was not possible due to the following blockers:
    [2018-01-27 10:56:49 -0700] W [FATAL] - cPanel & WHM cannot update due to insufficient disk space in the staging directory, '/usr/local/cpanel'. The system requires 3 GB to update; this directory only has 2.01 GB available. The system failed to find a new staging directory with enough space to update. You can either clear enough disk space or select a new staging directory with enough disk space at Update Preferences interface.
    => Log closed Sat Jan 27 10:56:49 2018
    And another question. Is it normal for "You must reboot the server to update the kernal" message all the time?
    Thanks,
    NARS

15. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Once you can properly update the fix is in the update for that I believe.

You need more space on that system to run the updates.

16. notarocketscientist

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I called my host and they explained my backups were set to daily and used up a bunch of space and told me where to access and delete them. I did, and then ran the update to cPanel, and it still stays at v64.0 build 42. So I logged out and back in and it said the same thing so I updated it again and it still didn't take. I will try again tomorrow...
    sigh,
    NARS

edit: I went back and saw that stupid warning "You need to reboot the system to update the kernal" or something like that so after trying the useless graceful reboot I did a forced reboot and it is still at version 64.

17. notarocketscientist

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok, so after another day I figured it out. I finally have the updated cPanel. WooHoo! But I still am totally confused with the stupid message that says "You must reboot the server to apply kernal updates". I try the graceful reboot which seems to never work unless it takes longer than I think it should. And there is no animated progress bar to keep you informed on if it is actually doing anything. So I do the forced server reboot wheich appears to actually reboot the server but the message about the kernal remains. What is the point here???
    Thanks,
    NARS

cPanelReboot.jpg

18. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi @notarocketscientist,

I'm glad to see the cPanel update was successful and that you are now using cPanel version 68. As far as the kernel reboot warning, could you run the following commands and let us know the output?

Code:
    /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/perl -e 'use Cpanel::Kernel::Status; use Data::Dumper; my $kernel = Cpanel::Kernel::Status::kernel_status(); print Dumper \$kernel;' $VAR1 = \{
    whmapi1 system_needs_reboot
    rpm -qa|grep kernel
    Thank you.

19. notarocketscientist

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well ok, but being a noob at this stuff it will take a little while (days) as I have to learn how/where to run this command. ;) But I have a Linux book on it's way and have purchased a Udemy course that I have yet to start. So as long as the message is not real dangerous to leave alone for a few days I will report back with the answer. I am going to have to learn all tis stuff so this will be a great place to start. (but if you can give me a hint I will get it done faster)
    Thanks,
    NARS

edit: Is this what I need to learn??
    How to Access the Command Line - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

20. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator