The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vps installation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PondRicefied, Jun 20, 2007.

1. PondRicefied

PondRicefied Well-Known Member

Hello.

I am building vps (Host OS and Guest OS) on a server.
    In which should I install whm between Host OS or Guest OS?

2. dspillett

dspillett Active Member

Depends what else you are doing with the server and what your priorities are...

If you are using virtualisation for performance or security separation then everything wants to be in VMs except the basics you need in the host to monitor and manage the VMs.

There can be a noticeable performance hit, especially for I/O, inside most VMs depending on your config so code you run directly on the host may have an advantage (so you might want to run what-ever your highest priority is there) BUT the reverse might be true if most of your RAM is allocated to VMs (as this will mean host processes don't have much RAM to share round.

Without more specifics of what you are trying to do, I can't give any more specific advice than that.

3. PondRicefied

PondRicefied Well-Known Member

Hello, dspillett.

I experiment in this by a poor machine.

CPU:2GHz Mem:1GB

For example, it will be set to 4VM(s), if it assigns so that CPU256MHz and Mem256MB may be guaranteed in VM (GestOS) by OpenVz.

Since whm needs many resources, the method except installing for every VM is examined.
    (It will do so, when there is only it, of course)

As for me, it is desirable for all account to use WHM/ Cpanel in common, and to create the domain of account on Guest OS.

I appreciate your patience of my bad English.