Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

VPS ip addresses to set up nameservers

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by brand_land, Mar 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. brand_land

brand_land Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I already set up my VPS nameservers with the ip address of my VPS, the one that I use to sign on, I used the same IP address for ns1 and ns2, I wanted to use it for a country code Top Level Domain (ccTLD) domain, but they asked me to provide different IP addresses for the primary and the secondary namservers.
    When I hecked the IP addresses in IP functions, it showed two, one with a note that says Reserved and two with the IP that I used to setup nameservers with the websites that uses them.
    Now what is that other IP address ? and isn't each VPS come with only one IP address ? and can I use the one that says reserved as a secondary namserver IP or do I have to buy another one ?
    Thank you

Emonkdzuu likes this.
  2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Most registrars will allow you to use the same IP for NS1 & NS2 there are some out there that do not and maybe its a rule with the ccTLD I would not know.

As far as VPS's having only one IP that would depend on the provider??
    You could check why its reserved ( if it has a reason ) It could be a Private IP? Which you cant use for DNS or websites for the public. Only your provider can tell you why they reserved it no one will be able to help you here.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @brand_land,

It's possible your VPS hosting provider reserved the additional IP address for a reason, so I recommend contacting them to see which IP addresses are available for use with your VPS.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. brand_land

brand_land Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I already asked Godaddy support and it's like they don't know what they're selling, I asked more than one agent and they kept telling what I already know.
    I tried to configure the VPS nameservers and when I got to the point to adding the A host name, I found an entry that already exist with the other ip address saying main ip address although the ip address that I use to login into WHM is the other one, that's why I'm confused.
    I asked the agent whether I can buy another IP address and he said know which I doubt know as he didn't even know what is the other IP address.
    Any way I tried entering the IP address that I use for WHM login in the A host but it wouldn't accept it with no messages, the page refreshes then I see no changes.

5. brand_land

brand_land Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I already did but apparently they know nothing more than I do.
    I contacted several agent but none of them gave an answer.

6. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    short answer they probably don't the answer

if you can access the ip publicly the use it
    your main IP likely will be the IP on eth0 (if that is how their network is set up) the secondary will be eth0:0

Edit you zones manually with the zone editor

7. brand_land

brand_land Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    It's on eth0 but I can't access it, I tried to access WHM through it but it didn't work.
    In order to set up my VPS nameservers, I have to add an A entry for my hostname and I can't do that, the only IP showing up is the reserved one.

I used to configure nameservers for each account manually with ns1 and ns2 with the domain name of the account, then I knew that I can set a default nameservers to assign to accounts but all the accounts take ns1.defaultname.com and ns2.defaultname.com , isn't it supposed to increment for each account ?

Thank you

#7 brand_land, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  8. cPanelMichael

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You can setup the "A" record manually using WHM >> Edit DNS Zone. Edit the "A" record in the zone for server's hostname (if it exists) or in the zone for the parent domain name associated with the hostname if it exists.

The default name servers used at domain creation time come from WHM >> Basic WebHost Manager Setup. The only way to define different name servers to the zone at domain creation time is to create the domain under a reseller account that's assigned it's own set of default name servers (WHM >> Edit Reseller Nameservers and Privileges).

Let me know if this helps.

Thank you.

9. brand_land

brand_land Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Yeah there's a hostname, when I setup the new nameservers I was supposed to add an A entry for the hostname but as i said I couldn't, it says an entry already exist.
    I can see the server hostname in the zone editor, if I add an A entry, won't that affect any thing ?
    I'm afraid mail will stop or something.
    I found another issue which I assume is because of this other IP address:

REVERSE DNS (PTR) The system sends this domain’s outgoing mail from a private IP address.

I think it's because of the hostname pointing to the other IP address.

When I first used the VPS, I didn't get the setup wizard or anything, maybe I was supposed to set everything up at the beginning and now that's why I have a problem.

I hope you can help clarify things.

Thank you

10. cPanelMichael

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You should edit the existing "A" record in the hostname's DNS zone instead of adding a new one.

You'll also want to check the parent domain's DNS zone. For example, if the hostname is server.domain.tld, check the DNS zone for "domain.tld" as well to make sure no "A" entries exist for "server".

Changing the "A" record associated with the server's hostname should not break any services, especially since you're modifying it to point to the correct IP address.

Thank you.

11. brand_land

brand_land Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I apologize for the late response as I didn't see the reply,

So my existing host name is:

s-ipaddress-.secureserver.net

there's no A record in it, so I have to add one to point to the correct ip address right ?

I'm sorry but I didn't get this part, are we talking about the new nameservers that I set up ? or the hostname of the server ?

Thank you

12. cPanelMichael

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  13. brand_land

brand_land Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I was stuck at this step

Create A entries for your hostname.

I can't do it, because every time I try to enter the public IP address, I can't.

14. cPanelMichael

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Could you open a support ticket so we can take a closer look at your system to see why it's not working? Post the ticket number here once it's opened and I'll link this forums thread to it.

Thank you.

15. brand_land

brand_land Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Ticket number:

I tried to open the ticket twice, once from another PC and I ran this command to see my IP address as they suggested
    wget -q -O - http://www.cpanel.net/showip.cgi

I got the IP address that I'm using for my websites, but they said I have to wait for 16 hours, and then I tried again from WHM and the weird thing is that the IP address was different from the one that I got from the command and when I wanted to submit the ticket, I got Support access error "IP address and support access ID don not match".

Thank you

#15 brand_land, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  16. cPanelMichael

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @brand_land,

It looks like you were advised to report the concern to your provider to determine the specific steps to solve the issue. Can you confirm if you were able to solve the problem?

Thank you.