The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VPS IP usage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by whmcpuser, Apr 10, 2012.

1. whmcpuser

whmcpuser Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi,

I have questions regarding the usage of assigned IPs. I have a VPS that I will use for hosting of my own domains, it has 3 IPs and I don't quite know what to do with the IPs.

My VPS configuration when I received it is:
    My first IP is xxx.xxx.xxx.74 is shown as [Main Address] Main/shared IP for root
    My other 2 IPs are assigned as nameservers (NS1 & NS2).

I have read on another post/forum that Linode VPS only allow 1 IP for each VPS, and the reason for that is that it does not make sense to assign 2 IPs to a VPS only for the purpose of creating nameservers, because if the VPS goes down, both nameservers are also down, no redundancy if both nameservers are hosted by the same VPS. So I am guessing that having 2 assigned IPs for a VPS is merely cosmetic to allow VPS users to register custom the required 2 nameserver names at the registrars.

Most WHM VPSs come with only 2 IPs, and NS1 is assigned to the first IP and NS2 is assigned to the second IP.

Questions:

1) In my case, should I change my first IP address as NS1 and my second IP address as NS2? What is the proper way to config the IPs?

2) My understanding is that the main/1st IP will be shared among all the domains that I host. What could I use the other IPs for?

TIA

2. nibb

nibb Well-Known Member

Both DNS servers need different IPs to work. You are completely correct, if they are on the same server and its down, both will be down. The correct DNS setup is actually to use 2 IP on a different subnet, this means on a different network. Some tld extensions will not let you host this domains on a DNS servers which are on the same network or server exactly for this reason. Redundancy.

You can add and delete IPs from WHM.

Yes, the main IP will be shared among all domains hosted. If you are not going to use the DNS server on this server, use an external DNS server, you can basically turn the DNS service off on your VPS to save resources and use the 2 IPs for additional hosting, dedicated IP hosting.

3. whmcpuser

whmcpuser Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks for answering my question. A follow up question to your answer, what do you mean by "use an external DNS server"?

I actually have been looking up answers/solutions for this, but I have not been successful, but luckily you mentioned it, so if you could explain it for me.

I was thinking about using godaddy's domaincontrol DNS servers and assign my webserver's IP as the A record, that way I don't have to worry about my DNS server going down. The negative side of this plan is that I have to re-enter the IP for the A record for every domain that I host if I move to a different server.

Is there a public external DNS server that I can create my own private NS records for ns1 and ns2 and assign an A record IP to them? This way, if I move my server, I would only need to update the IP for the A record once.

TIA