Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

VPS NameServer Setup

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by Gukkie, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Gukkie

Gukkie Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi, i would greatly appreciate any help given :)

Lets say if i want to create my own hosting server meaning i have a registered domain lets say "hostme.com". I do not want to create a website but just use the domain name for my vps server so that i can host other websites and point the ip's directly to my vps server.

I will have ns1.hostme.com and ns2.hostme.com am i right? So in cPanel i will add one ip each for the nameserver as stated and create an A Entry too am i right?

As for the hostname, lets say i put it as vps1.hostme.com, i will also have to assign an ip and create an A Entry am i right?

So this means that over at my registrar where i registered "hostme.com", i will have to set my nameservers as ns1.hostme.com and ns2.hostme.com and point them to the vps ip addresses am i right?

2. Rajbir Singh

Rajbir Singh Registered

If you want to create a set of your own private name-servers and then want to use those name-servers for your server then all you have to do is to first register a domain name say for example :: hostname.com and then register the name-servers as
    ns1.hostname.com >> 10.10.10.1
    ns2.hostname.com >> 10.10.10.2

Once you are done with the name-servers creation at your domain registrar for hostname.com then you can assign those name-server to hostname.com itself and other domains as well.

And regarding the server hostname you can use vps1.hostname.com by adding a "A" record for it under DNS zone of hostname.com.

Note :: Replace the IP's 10.10.10.1 & 10.10.10.2 with the actual IP's of you VPS.

Regards,

Rajbir

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 Rajbir Singh, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2013
  3. quietFinn

quietFinn Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes you are right, but the hostname does not need it's own IP.
    If you have 2 IPs in your VPS, one of them is the "main shared IP", and the hostname & ns1 point to that IP, and ns2 points to the 2nd IP.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Gukkie

Gukkie Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank You, i have got it working :)