The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VPS NameServer Setup

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Gukkie, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Gukkie

Gukkie Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi, i would greatly appreciate any help given :)

Lets say if i want to create my own hosting server meaning i have a registered domain lets say "hostme.com". I do not want to create a website but just use the domain name for my vps server so that i can host other websites and point the ip's directly to my vps server.

I will have ns1.hostme.com and ns2.hostme.com am i right? So in cPanel i will add one ip each for the nameserver as stated and create an A Entry too am i right?

As for the hostname, lets say i put it as vps1.hostme.com, i will also have to assign an ip and create an A Entry am i right?

So this means that over at my registrar where i registered "hostme.com", i will have to set my nameservers as ns1.hostme.com and ns2.hostme.com and point them to the vps ip addresses am i right?

2. Rajbir Singh

Rajbir Singh Registered

If you want to create a set of your own private name-servers and then want to use those name-servers for your server then all you have to do is to first register a domain name say for example :: hostname.com and then register the name-servers as
    ns1.hostname.com >> 10.10.10.1
    ns2.hostname.com >> 10.10.10.2

Once you are done with the name-servers creation at your domain registrar for hostname.com then you can assign those name-server to hostname.com itself and other domains as well.

And regarding the server hostname you can use vps1.hostname.com by adding a "A" record for it under DNS zone of hostname.com.

Note :: Replace the IP's 10.10.10.1 & 10.10.10.2 with the actual IP's of you VPS.

Regards,

Rajbir

#2 Rajbir Singh, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2013
  3. quietFinn

quietFinn Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes you are right, but the hostname does not need it's own IP.
    If you have 2 IPs in your VPS, one of them is the "main shared IP", and the hostname & ns1 point to that IP, and ns2 points to the 2nd IP.

4. Gukkie

Gukkie Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank You, i have got it working :)