The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"VPS Optimized" at the top of WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nitratec02, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nitratec02

Nitratec02 Member

Hello,

How do I remove the bit at the top of WHM that says VPS Optimized, I don't want this there, I would prefer it if it just said WHM.

Thanks,

2. mohit

mohit Well-Known Member

if its done by any third party script you can have it removed else i don't think you can alter the name.

3. hydra

hydra Well-Known Member

Hi,

I see it in CPanel interface to now.
    Don't know if i like it:eek:

Ronald.

4. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

people might have a problem with it ..if they do not want customers knowing it's a VPS. But it's a VPS ..along with the other 2 VPS's that need to be on that phsical server for it to be legit.

5. zigzam

zigzam Well-Known Member

Its a VPS so it should say that and you shouldn't try to hide that its a vps from your clients anyway.

6. YukonMaster

YukonMaster Registered

/usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot/themes/x/logo_vps.jpg is where the top VPS image is located. You can just replace it with the regular image.

7. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    To those that desire to hide this information from your clients: please take a class on Ethics.

Please note: the above message does not constitute an official position of cPanel, Inc. It is merely my personal opinion based upon the reasons many express about the "VPS Optimized" logo.

#7 cPanelKenneth, Apr 28, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  8. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

those same people might be the ones that get upset when their cPanel's stop working once the 3 VPS's per phsical server rule is enforced :eek:

9. markfrompf

markfrompf Well-Known Member

Exactly my thoughts. Come on, people. It's almost an insult to those of us with server bills that are several thousand dollars per month.

10. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Had a couple of accounts that were sold, they were backup accounts. I was told we were being migrated to a beefier server. Once done, I noticed the VPS optimized. Kind of interesting, no big deal to me since they were backup accounts but it was not what I originally signed up for. I guess they could own the server and just be setting up different containers, but I doubt it.

11. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

you can bet they are either running 1 VPS on a full server and getting cPanel cheaper ..or even worst in your case ..selling you a dedicated machine and you are one of 4-10 "dedicated" servers inside that one dedicated server. either way ..something it's being disclosed to you.

12. rhenderson

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If it wasnt just a backup account I would not be happy with the new owners. I had thought about running 1 VPS container instead of having dedicated servers (Never thought about the price of cpanel) but mainly to backup the whole thing. I would disclose this to my customers if I went that way.

13. weetabix

weetabix Well-Known Member

why is it necessary to advertise to the customers that they are on a vps or not?

14. rhenderson

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Our belief is that the customer should know what they are buying/renting. It is neccessary! Not telling is like saying, what does it matter if the car is a V8 or V6, it is for sale if you like the color buy it. VPS's can have some odd restrictions on number of files allowed etc...The customer should know the bottom line of what they are buying. Would you buy a dedicated server from a company that would not tell you how much disk space and ram it had? To me it is the same thing.

15. hydra

hydra Well-Known Member

Hi,

I am running CPanel in a VPS.
    I use VPS because it is very easy to copy the vps image to another server. I have a quad core Xeon 3Ghz with 4 Gig and RAID 5
    This server has cost me a small fortune.
    I run 1 VPS on it because it is easier to backup (snapshots)and move (migrate to new server)if something bad happens.
    So my 1 VPS has the complete server available.
    I also have paid for the full version of CPanel.
    So i really don't get it why i should be in need of an ethics class.
    I know of hosting company's who run on Pentium 4 with software raid and :eek:800+ domains on it.
    So they are morally correct and i am morally wrong in wanting the VPS optimized logo removed.:confused:

Ronald

MaraBlue likes this.
  16. yapluka

yapluka Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is educating your customers not an option ? They should be able to understand - and appreciate - your choice :)

17. hydra

hydra Well-Known Member

Hi,

Of course it is. I may even go so far as saying that it is not a big deal for me if the logo stays as it is.
    I just question the comments about ethics classes and how unfair it would be for webhosters with big bills. :confused:
    I think that there are some of us who use vps because it is very useful and not use it to cramp as much vps's as possible on one machine.

But your suggestion is sound so i will make a Faq for my users explaining why they are on a VPS server, most of them will probably don't know what the hell i'm talking about anyway, and leave the logo as is.

Ronald

18. jspalding

jspalding Registered

There might be ethics and morals involved, but surely its not cPanels place to say this?

19. rhenderson

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As I said above, I have thought before about running 1 VPS on our servers just for those reasons you state. As a matter of fact, we have been running a test for the past 45 days or so to see how that works out. :rolleyes:

If you had a major crash :eek: with easyapache or something BAM your right back in business instead of trying to sort out the error while the phone is ringing, once the site is restored your team can then spend the time tracking the error.

My point was just this; if that is the way it is set up just post it somewhere, a spec's page for your server. I think the impression was someone was trying to hide that, whether they were or not I have no clue. It could have been someone jumping conclusions without knowing the whole story.

But when the discussion turned to should this be disclosed or not I have to say yes. I think if it was disclosed the graphic really does not matter. I think if it is hidden from a customer it would be unethical. My $0.02. :)

I think the whole ideal of ethics is not to tell a customer you’re running a quad core duo core 8X processor with 16 gigs of memory when in reality that might be the server you’re on with a dozen VPS containers running, that would be misleading.

When those backup accounts, I spoke about, were migrated, I asked why we were being put on a VPS and the response was just about what just about what I said above, it is a 8X processing cores with 16GBs of memory and 10X173GB drives etc..., something along those lines. The question about the VPS was not answered. I am not going to fight with them about it or question their ethics but you can guess what I am going to do. :mad:

Just something we should all as responsible ethical hosts should think about. I did not accuse anyone about being ethical, just chimed in with my own opinion about whether or not this graphic should be replaced.

20. pross

pross Well-Known Member

I dont mind having the VPS logo at the top, there are only 2 VPS's per machine with my current provider and thats 1G memory and 80G space, and the memory is dedicated, so its pretty much entry level dedicated machine anyway, none of my clients have said anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.