The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VPS Roundcube Webmail Issue

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by PhoenixUK, Jul 28, 2015.

1. PhoenixUK

PhoenixUK Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I have a vps, the hosted site in question had two email addresses, one still works right now on said domain but the other just completely stopped. It was just after I had an outage on my vps, which I rebooted and then upgraded the apache build to 2.4 etc.

Although I fail to see how this outage could have caused this one domain email address to fail, as the other email address again using roundcube webmail is still working. :/

I changed the email password of the offending account just to be safe, again this new password won't accept it just says "login failed".

I'm at a loss at present as to why this is happening and hopefully some kind soul can help me work through this pain in the ass problem.

Regards,

2. PhoenixUK

PhoenixUK Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just to add;

It lets me login to the offending email address via the cPanel Webmail login screen, it accepts the email address and password and then proceeds to load in to the mailbox, I get the header zone of the mailbox as expected but it then loads a new login box with words 'Login Failed' underneath the login box.

I still have the mailbox's header branded logo, mailbox name and drop down options and logout.It lets me login to the offending email address via the cPanel Webmail login screen, it accepts the email address and password and then proceeds to load in to the mailbox, I get the header zone of the mailbox as expected, but it then loads a new login box with words 'Login Failed' underneath the login box. I stilll have the mailbox's header branded logo, mailbox name and drop down options and logout.

3. ModServ

ModServ Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    First of all you need to check the error logs then I guess (that's only a guess) your roundcube database crashed due to the outage.

Try this command to fix database:
    Code:
    mysqlcheck -r roundcube
    If it didn't work then go ahead and check the logs.

4. PhoenixUK

PhoenixUK Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Modserv,

I tried that command to fix the database, it didn't resolve it... so went further in to researching and to cut a long story short as it's not worth me telling everybody the various things I tried, that didn't work or help... but I read through this following thread http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=941094 and post #12 put me on to something.

So I tested disabling CpHulk temporarily in WHM, tried logging in to the offending domain email account via roundcube webmail and guess what, it let me in again.

So I need to find the command to flush the cphulk database next, as I want to keep cphulk on for obvious reasons... still can't understand how it's banned my own IP when I'm in the whitelist.

Regards,

5. ModServ

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm glad you've fixed this issue.

About cPHulk it didn't block your IP, It locked the account itself for a lot of login tries due to BFA from remote servers.

6. PhoenixUK

PhoenixUK Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Again,

Thanks for the reply. Well whilst I was able to 100% isolate cphulk as being the offender, I could only login to the blocked email address once I disabled cphulk. I now need to find a solution to be able to keep cphulk activated permanently but not throw a fit when external people unknown to me try and login, which as you say after X number of tries cphulk just shuts down that accounts access, but for me too lol grrrr.

My VPS provider said as far as they're concerned the only way to truly stop myself ending up in the same situation, is to purchase an additional dedicated IP address for this domain, then the IP address won't change and will stay static, of which cphulk can't throw the fit it did today and I can keep it activated too.

I was wondering if I could put a wider range based around my VPS's IP address in to the whitelist but still a small enough range that doesn't leave it wide open, or something similar anyway?

Would yo concur with the above?

Regards,

7. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Sounds like overkill and added costs. Wouldn't it be easier to permit a few more failed logins, or some other tweak to your current cPHulk settings to suit your specific clients (having issues logging into webmail using an email address and password properly, for some reason).

8. ModServ

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can do this or you can disable cphulk and install CSF.