Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

VPS Run 2x Nameservers?

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by ks04, Jan 20, 2012.

1. ks04

ks04 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi Guys,
    Wondering if anyone can help me to do the following/let me know if it is possible.

I currently have 2 VPS's which run Cpanel/WHM on both.
    Each one is currently setup with different nameservers - lets call them ns1.vps1.com. and ns1.vps2.com. Each of these nameservers hold the DNS records for their respective VPS's.

What i want to do is to have the alternate VPS run as a backup nameserver for the otherone. so VPS1 have a secondary nameserver for VPS2 and vice versa.

Is this possible?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello :)

Yes, that is possible. You could configure the cluster on each VPS so that changes are synchronized to the other server. You can find a guide on this at:

Configure Cluster

While this will work, I would like to point out that it's not the ideal scenario. Ideally, you should have two separate servers running cPanel DNS-Only so that your web server can synchronize zones to them.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ks04

ks04 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Thanks,
    I did have a read through that... but it didnt have anything relevant to my specific quiery.
    Would i simply make anouther resellers account with WHM to configure this??

Also, to run 2x DNSonly installs would require the acquisition of anouther 2 VPS's - am I correct?
    Ta

4. ks04

ks04 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Right, So I figured I'd give this a crack.

I added NS3.VPS1.com to VPS2 and added all arecords etc.

I then tried to setup a 'write only' sync from VPS1 under cluster but I'm getting the following error: "Could not connect to VPS2.com:2087: Invalid argument" on VPS1 and the following on VPS2:Server Error from VPS1.com: HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden

Any thoughts?