Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

VPS Snapshot Restoration

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by medievil2003, Feb 3, 2018.

1. medievil2003

medievil2003 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I made a grave error whilst deleting some redundant user accounts on my VPS server, 3am was a dangerous time after having worked 18 hours that day to be working with shell and root - i deleted an account which i need back. Speaking with my hosting provider, they have snapshots of the entire VPS and apparently can only put it back onto the same server / IP.

Would it work if i asked them to create a full backup of the entire server as of today, put the snapshot i need on the server (i know it'll overwrite any changes since), i then take out the directories and databases from the account i deleted then ask them to put the backup of today back on?

Unless you guys know of another way? I did ask if i can simply purchase another VPS and get it on there but told it'll only go back to the same IP.

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    They might be having backup rotation, so better to ask them before, so you might not end up having today's snapshot overwritten on old snapshot.

It is better you take a backup at a remote location of all the accounts, then you can ask your provider to restore the snapshot.. You can then restore the other accounts from the backup if you want..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

That would technically work, but you may want to have them verify the date of the most recent backup image and try to have it as recent as possible.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...