The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VPS upgrade help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sirius60, Aug 26, 2010.

1. sirius60

sirius60 Registered

Oh I think I've done a bad thing....

I upgraded our linux reseller account to a VPS account as i want to have some software that wasn't possible on the reseller - but now I feel really out of my depth and the support, which was adequate with the reseller is failing badly with VPS

Here is the question I've been trying to get to the bottom of all day today.....

In my VPS welcome email they give the following information

ACCOUNT INFORMATION:
    ====================
    Which I understand fine

LOGIN INFORMATION:
    ==================
    WHM Logins : Understand
    Username: understand
    Password: understand

cPanel Logins :understand
    Username: ( create user from WHM )
    Password: understand

SSH INFORMATION:
    ================
    Don't quite understand but I'll come back to that at a later date

For the cPanel login I don't understand how to create a user from WHM. I googled and watched tutorials and what I've learnt from that is
    Account Functions > Create a new account

But when I do that it wants me to set up an account for a new domain but I don't have a new domain, they have all been migrated from the reseller account

If I go to
    Account Functions > Modify account

It shows all the domains we have and reseller account is already listed there. I can't change the user name for the primary domain and I can't use that username to login the the cPanel ip given in the welcome email!

Does any of that make any sense at all? Oh I hope so my head hurts :eek:

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. garrettp

garrettp Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It sounds like you have a fairly good grasp on what's going on, but you need to clarify a few of the finer details with your host. A lot of VPS hosts will have a console access IP which is different from your actual VPS node IP which you use for hosting (and cPanel/WHM access).

Try changing the password for the cPanel account you're trying to log in to, ensuring you have the right one. Note that cPanel is accessed via any one of the following:

http://x.x.x.x/cpanel
    http://x.x.x.x:2082
    https://x.x.x.x:2083

Make sure you use IP-based access for now since your DNS may not have updated yet.

3. sirius60

sirius60 Registered

you're very kind

but I'm sure I don't have a grasp of anything but my hair at this moment in time....

From my limited understanding when we had a reseller account I could log into cPanel and WHM using the primary domain. And from there I could jump to all the other domains hosted under the reseller account.

But all the other domains also had their own login's to their individual cPanel/WHM accounts.

Today all the domains (including the primary) can still login to their cPanel/WHM accounts, which is good... I think.

But I have no idea how to create a cPanel username to go along with the IP address (which ends with 2082) and the password which came with my VPS welcome letter.

Communicating with the host support is proving very difficult as I'm pretty sure they are based in India (so there are language issues) added to that is my lack of understanding which makes it difficult for me to express what I'm trying to say properly. I feel like I'm swimming in a bowl of mud :eek:

4. ChrisRHS

ChrisRHS Well-Known Member

There are two different control panels. WHM - is where the root user, and, if setup already, a reseller can log in and make changes to accounts. The root user, can also make changes to some of the server software itself. cPanel, is the end users control panel, where they can make changes to sites under their control. If your account were brought in for you, you should still be able to access the cPanel of all of those accounts. The reseller may not be set up, so log into WHM using the user name root, and the current root password. It sounds like you are going to need some help setting things up though once in, and if you do, feel free to PM me with any questions.

Chris

5. sirius60

sirius60 Registered

Now I must be losing it...

I've just posted a response but it's not here :confused:

After trying to get to the bottom of 'setting a user name' for a cPanel account which the hosts provided the IP address and password for, for the whole day I eventually got an email saything they had sent the wrong information. That the cPanel accounts set up before the migration were still the ones to be used.

Thanks for your response Chris, it was very easy to understand and what's more it made sense to me (even considering my lack of understanding and knowledge) :p