The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VPS version questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by arielhosting, Jul 19, 2004.

1. arielhosting

arielhosting Registered

Hi,

Couple of questions about the VPS version of cpanel. I have searched the forums and found others asking similar questions, but nobody really getting an answer

What are the licensing terms and conditions of this?
    The main site just says "Free - limited time only".
    Does this mean we do NOT need an existing license?
    I am renting a server where I pay a monthly fee for cpanel - would the same fee apply to the VPS version? Or is it on top of it?

Also, I have seen comments a few months back that this is still beta - is that still the case?
    Do we know when it will be production release?
    Failing that, is there some other software I can run to give me VPS and I dunno, maybe install cpanel in each partition rather than having one server-wide install?

What are other people doing?

thanks in advance.

2. BWS

BWS Active Member

Bump!

This "Free" Licence - It is obviously free at the moment, but when it becomes non-free would I be able to use my existing cPanel licence with it (I'd be using it on the same server!)?

How stable is this - Anyone running it????

I assume with this cPanel style VPS we only need one cPanel licence for it (and not one for each VPS)....

I was about to look into User-Mode-Linux but if I'd only need one cPanel licence with this it might be worth considering..

Cheers,
    Keiron

3. BWS

BWS Active Member

Does nobody know anything about this VPS? I assume if it's on layer1 cPanel would like us to test it, I'd just like to know the ins andouts of it before I do!

4. sjackson909

sjackson909 Well-Known Member

man jail or chroot and read about what a vps can do. I have heard that cpanels vps is really broken. I'm guessing that is why it's free :)

Thanks
    -Seth

5. BWS

BWS Active Member

In which case I may go down the User-Mode-Linux route and just install cPanel on top in each VPS.

6. sjackson909

sjackson909 Well-Known Member

I have done a lot of research on this topic and I have come to the conlucion that before I would roll out any VPS product to my customers there needs to be way more better admin managment tools and a better way to manage resources, I don't run linux so I'm not to sure what there manage tools are or if they have any. I'm guess there not too far behind the BSD ppl.

Thanks
    -Seth

7. netwrkr

netwrkr Well-Known Member

You obviously haven't seen Virtuozzo then.

8. bangsters

bangsters Well-Known Member

any update on this? will it run on rh9 or is it strictly for rh7.3?

and what baout the license? i have a license of cpanel for my server, will that be enough or do i need 1 license per virtual server? and will an AMD Xp2400 server be enough to run a couple vservers?