The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vsFTP blocking PureFTP from starting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KC-Bill, Aug 3, 2015.

1. KC-Bill

KC-Bill Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    After upgrading to cPanel 11.50, I rebooted my server. Everything seemed OK, but it was complaining that it couldn't start the FTP server. I tested FTP to the server and it seemed to work just fine, so I figured it was a firewall problem as suggested by the error email I was receiving. I couldn't find a block however, and the emails kept coming. On further inspection, vsFTP was serving FTP instead of PureFTP, and as a result of course PureFTP couldn't start. We've always used PureFTP, I have no idea why the server has vsFTP running. Is this perchance something that 11.50 added? Or do I have to look elsewhere?

For the record, of course when I stopped the vsFTP daemon, PureFTP was able to start without issue.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It's likely VSFTP was installed with your operating system. You can remove it by first searching for the package name with a command such as:

Code:
    rpm -qa|grep vsftp
    Then, remove the RPM with a command such as:

Code:
    rpm -e --nodeps $package-name
    Thank you.

3. KC-Bill

KC-Bill Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Certainly possible... But this server has been in service for years and I've never seen this issue until after the 11.50 update. I suppose it could just be a coincidence.

Thanks for the info.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can verify this by checking to see if the RPM for VSFTP exists on the system. cPanel does not install this RPM, so if it exists, it indicates it was installed with the OS or installed manually at some point in the past.

Thank you.