The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want a cheap Rolex Watch?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rpmws, Oct 24, 2004.

1. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

The title says it all. I get about 3500 spams a day normally across 8 domains I pop mail from. Since I reinstalled SA3.0 for about a week or so SA has done a great job with a score of 4-5 at stopping almost ALL of my spam. Maybe 5 per day out of the 3500 get by. In the last 2 days I have gotten about 300 "Want a cheap Rolex Watch?" or something like that. It's like basically one or two different spams I am getting many times. SA scores these at like .9 or 1.2 ..way way below my threshold of 4.

Question ..have any of you been seeing things like this happen out of the blue with SA just seems to almost stop working or basically drop the ball on some spam? does this thing learn? is this a new spammer? I searched the IP he is coming from and they are all over the place. Like a different IP for every email. How are these scum bags doing this? anyone else seen this Want a cheap Rolex Watch?

thanks in advance for your replies :)

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't wear a watch.

Having said that, I wouldn't want someone selling me one (repeatedly) either ;)

Yes, this type of thing does happen. The spammers learn how to wind their way around SpamAssassin and the bayesian database can take a time to react to changes in spam if it isn't helped.

I would suggest having a look at adding the SARE rules to help SpamAssassin with this type of thing. They're continually developed to try and outwit the witless:
    http://www.rulesemporium.com/

3. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

I've gotten spam emails that were marked very low. If I get too many, I go in and add to my spam points list.

I've been thinking about getting a watch recently actually. ;)
    Not from a spammer though. :D