The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to Disable/Prevent Email Relay

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by urantian, Apr 16, 2007.

1. urantian

urantian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    In WHM, under the Email menu, in the "View Relayers" option, one of my client accounts is listed as a relayer. It indicates that numerous messages are being sent this way. It is not being done intentionally. How can I disable it? I've been unable to find specific information about how it is done.

In addition, the CPANEL and NOBODY accounts are also listed as relayers. I suppose that is common for the server operations. However, clicking on the CPANEL account reveals that another one of my clients has some regular email being sent via the CPANEL account. How would this be possible? How can it be prevented? Again... it's not intentional.

---Michael

2. urantian

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Need Resolution

I'm really hoping to resolve this soon. Does anyone have an idea of where and how the relay settings are configured?

---Michael

3. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

Mail sent from the 'cpanel' account, is sent via horde or squirrelmail
    Mail sent from the 'nobody' account is sent via web/CGI scripts

How do you mean disable relaying? if you disable relaying you will have no outgoing email?

4. urantian

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you for the reply! And, thank you for the clarification about the CPanel and Nobody email.

My concern about the users listed under the relays is that my own accounts are never listed, and those generate numerous messages.

There are two user accounts that are typically listed under the relays, and those accounts send legitimate email to a lot of recipients at once. Is it the large distribution list that would cause them to be listed, and no other user accounts?

I want to ensure that nothing dangerous is occurring on the server.

---Michael

5. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

As is the way with a lot of the panels in WHM, they dont quite work as intended!

Your safest bet is to turn on extended logging in exim's config, and grep the logs from the shell to see where the mail is coming from, its unlikely that its a bulk list sending the mails as if it was web based it would more than likely show the mails as going out from nobody, its probably just high usage from the clients end, it isnt uncommon, I have a few clients that send in excess of 10,000 e-mails a day from their organisations.

Forgot to add: If your domains are sending to domains held locally they wont show in the relayers list, the relayers list is mail bound for external servers, not local delivery.

#5 nickp666, Apr 23, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2007