The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to forward email to subdomain on different server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by BrettOnTheNet, Feb 2, 2012.

1. BrettOnTheNet

BrettOnTheNet Registered

Feb 2, 2012
    cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi there

I have on one server (home server). [note this is shared hosting]

I have on another server (sub server) [this is reseller hosting]

I have set the DNS records on the home server to point to the sub server for that subdomain.

So if I browse to I can see my index.html on the sub server.

But, I also want to be able to email to, and use the mail forwarder functions to send that mail onwards.

At the moment if I email it doesn't arrive even though I have a forwarder set up on the sub server.

I suspect I am supposed to have done something with MX records to point email to the right place.

I look at the MX records in cpanel, but in the dropdown box to choose which domain to set up MX records for, the does not show. If I try to set test up as a subdomain on the home server it tells me (rightly) that someone is already using that name.

I can't work out how to get email sent to to arrive at the sub server and use the forwarder rules there to deliver the email.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

Oct 2, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As a reseller, do you have WHM access on the machine? If so, do you have the DNS Functions area on that machine with "Edit a DNS Zone" option available? If you have that option, then edit the DNS zone for the domain in question ( and add an MX entry for the subdomain to point to the right location.