The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to install cPanel on new box, but keep old box's IP, how is this accomplished?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Xinil, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Xinil

Xinil Member

I'm going to install cPanel on a new dedicated server. However, I want to use the 'old' IP from my old server that is currently serving my sites (old server is using ispConfig hosting software...and I'm just not happy with it).

Old server IP: 10.10.0.1 (example ip)
    New server IP: 10.10.0.2 (do not want to use this)

So with that, I want to install the new server, transfer all my sites, and then set the new server with IP: 10.10.0.1. This way I see minimal downtime for my site, and I keep the same IP.

The problem is, cPanel will see 'two' different IP's during the install process. Can anyone offer advice on how best to install/configure cPanel so that I can 'change to the new ip' without too much hassel? I read this post: http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=71293&highlight=change+address but is that the only solution?

Thanks in advance.

2. BlueZebra

BlueZebra Well-Known Member

Why should you need to keep this IP? You can install cpanel on another box and migrate your accounts, rsync the databases, change the A entries in the old zone files to the new IP before the new nameserver addresses gets propagated, so that you have very less or no downtime.

If you are strict about keeping your old IP, I guess, you can ask your datacenter to migrate the old IPs to the new box.

3. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

There will be no way to avoid downtime and to change IP's from a live box to another may cause more downtime than expected.

I would just bite the bullet, create your backups and backup important files and account packages / features and many other things that cpbackup doesn't grab and have that disk placed in the new box and restore.

No client will argue over a few hours downtime for an performance upgrade.