The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to setup Test server, some basic Q's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TogaDave, Aug 29, 2003.

1. TogaDave

TogaDave Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2003
    For some of you more experienced people these questions are probably going to sound dumb, but it is with the interest of learning more that I post them.

I have a spare PC sitting here at home, and I want to learn how to setup Redhat/Apache/WHM/Cpanel on it from scratch. Just a freshly formatted hard drive on a home PC.

So I guess here are my basic questions if anyone cares to answer:

1. Is WHM/Cpanel available to download and use for tesdting at home for free? I already license it through my upstream provider on my web server, but that has nothing to do with this obviously.

2. Will WHM require that I have some kind of special DNS setup or something on the PC I'm installing it on? I mean, I have a cable modem connection and a router, but that's it. Just barebones for testing/learning.

3. After I download Redhat 7.3 and install it, would I go straight to WHM/Cpanel installs (if I can get them for testing) or is there something I need to install in addition to Redhat before I attempt to install WHM?

My whole reason for doing this is that I am one of those people who knows just enough about web hosting to get by with, and I totally rely on the automation of WHM/Cpanel to manage my web server. I would be completely lost if I were left to figure out Linux/RH/Apache all alone. I'm a designer who spends most of his time in Photoshop on XP creating pages. I want to change that and start learning more about the actual server administration as time allows. This is a big undertaking for me, so thank you for any advice. Support Ticket Number: