The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanting to Sell Web Space

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trpn, Jan 29, 2002.

1. trpn

trpn Guest

I am having a dedicated server and am thinking of reselling server space. However, I am not a pro on managing server and was wondering if some of the experts over here would be able to help me out?

1) Is there any specific thing that I need to keep in mind or need to be carefull of before I start selling web space.

2) Is there any real danger or possibility that someone (customer) can harm / hack other accounts on the same server ?

3) Is it ok to give SSH or should I be carefull to whom I give SSH?

Thanks for all the help.

Vishal Thakkar

2. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

[quote:995755e348][i:995755e348]Originally posted by trpn[/i:995755e348]
    I am having a dedicated server and am thinking of reselling server space. However, I am not a pro on managing server and was wondering if some of the experts over here would be able to help me out?

1) Is there any specific thing that I need to keep in mind or need to be carefull of before I start selling web space.

2) Is there any real danger or possibility that someone (customer) can harm / hack other accounts on the same server ?

3) Is it ok to give SSH or should I be carefull to whom I give SSH?

Thanks for all the help.

Vishal Thakkar [/quote:995755e348]

1.) Yes ..about 20 million things you will learn in the next year. If you only forget half of them you may get by OK :)

2.) Hell there is always a possibility that someone from the North Pole can completely destroy your entire business. Happens several times a day. Clients on your machines you need to trust and watch everything they do...the answer is yes and there wil lalways be holes no matter what you run shared, dediated ..you name it.

3.) giving out SSH to people you trust and to people that mean no harm is generally not a bad thing. Problem is sometimes it is too late when you find out if you can trust a client. The less access you give out teh better in general. Web Hosting is a game of gives and takes. You have to try your hardest to keep up on things and compromise for user value / security constantly. There is no such thing as a secure server that is connected to the internet. Try not to worry too much but at the same time keep an eye out :)