The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

warn [dnsadmin-ssl] Could not read from /var/named/com.au.db

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by mikelegg, May 12, 2010.

1. mikelegg

mikelegg Well-Known Member

On one of my servers, every minute an error is logged to /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log saying ...

warn [dnsadmin-ssl] Could not read from /var/named/com.au.db on [servername] at whostmgr/bin/dnsadmin-ssl line 1572
    main::getzonelocal() called at whostmgr/bin/dnsadmin-ssl line 339

The error makes perfect sense because "com.au" isn't a domain on the server (it isn't even a valid domain name) so I wouldn't expect there to be a zone file for it.

This zone file isn't listed in /etc/named.conf, so I'm a bit baffled as to where to go to remove this spurious entry so that I can stop these errors.

Does anyone have any ideas?

2. mikelegg

I'm also getting similar errors for /var/named/co.uk.db and /var/named/org.au.db

3. thewebhostingdi

thewebhostingdi Well-Known Member

If the domain is not present in your server then you can remove the entry from it and have a try.

4. mikelegg

From where exactly do I remove them? They're not listed in /etc/named.conf and they've never been set up on any of the servers in the DNS cluster.

So what I need to know is - from where does dnsadmin-ssl get it's list of zones?

5. mikelegg

Just noticed I'm also getting the same errors for subdomains, which again makes sense because the subdomains don't have their own zone files.

What I still don't understand is why this whostmgr/bin/dnsadmin-ssl is trying to find these non-existent zone files.

6. mikelegg

This problem is still persisting after 6 months.

Why would dnsadmin be trying to read zone files that don't exist (and in most cases aren't even valid FQDNs) on a server that isn't even a DNS server?

7. mikelegg

#7 mikelegg, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  8. mikelegg

Any time I watch top I constantly see the requests for these non-existent domains

eg.
    Sometimes there are 3 or more at one time

9. beddo

beddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have started seeing loads of errors like these for sub domains on a new machine that I have just built..

10. mikelegg

No, they're still occurring.

It's not actually causing any problems (other than bloating the cPanel error log) so I just moved on with my life.

Do you use any third party WHM plugins?

I use this one - NDCHost - cPanel/WHM Secondary MX Plugin and I have wondered if the problem is caused when the plugin connects to each server to get the list of domains and email addresses. I did speak to Garrett at NDCHost about it some time back and he thought it might be a problem with cPanel 11.28 and it might be fixed in 11.30, but that hasn't turned out to be the case.

11. beddo

beddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Yes and no. I have the SMX plugin set up for my VPS which I am migrating hosting accounts to. The old physical machine is not hooked up to the cPanel DNS only vps or the SMX plugin anymore (it used to be). Both the physical machine and the VPS are logging these errors on subdomains.

12. mikelegg

I think it's more than just coincidence that we both use the sMX plugin and we're both noticing the same errors.

Even though your old server isn't connected to the sMX server anymore, maybe there's something still lingering that's causing the errors to continue

13. beddo

beddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I concur, I have just checked some things. The first entry for the error in the log file on the physical machine is at [2011-09-07 13:44:49 +0100]

That is the exact day that the SMX plugin was activated.

The phyiscal server is still getting these errors because I removed the DNS cluster from the physical machine but not the SMX connection so that is still active.

I might just ignore it for now because I've had to deal with NDCH for support on a couple of other issues. The support has been less than stellar and I moved the VPS license back to cPanel direct because of that. cPanel answered a query in less than two hours that NDCH took over 3 weeks on (with frequent 3-4 day breaks from replying to me).

#13 beddo, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  14. garrettp

garrettp Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Mike,

The SMX plugin uses cPanel's API to pull the domain list so I'm hesitant to think that it is the direct cause, but we're happy to still explore that as a possibility. Get back to me in your open ticket on the issue and I will continue to seek a solution.

15. mikelegg

I've just noticed that my DNSOnly/sMX server hadn't updated to 11.30. (I assumed it would have updated months ago.)

So I updated it manually. Now it seems that it's only subdomains that are generating these errors. The crazy errors with the non-existent domains have stopped.

16. mikelegg

Garrett has confirmed that the sub-domain issue can safely be ignored.

The SMX plugin pulls a list of domains from the clustered server from /etc/localdomains, which is populated with all of the domains configured on that server. The SMX server uses this list to query the server for zone files to modify and add the appropriate MX record to point at the SMX server. Due to the fact that a subdomain is a valid cPanel account and that a separate zone for that subdomain may exist on the server, the SMX server queries for the existence of such a zone based on the entry in the localdomains file. There's no way for the SMX to know for certain ahead of time whether or not a separate zone exists for the subdomain, or if the subdomain is covered by a parent zone file. It is for this reason you see the error messages on the cPanel server regarding the querying of some of these non-existent zones.

17. beddo

beddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    They might be harmless, but they're still a pain. With so many of these in the log file it makes it difficult to see at a quick glance if anything else is erroring. There has to be some way to craft a check to see if the zones exist before querying for them..

18. mikelegg

True, but it's a big improvement over the pre 11.30 situation when there were errors for domains that didn't exist (and weren't even valid).