The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

warn or indicate when a service is no longer working / responding

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dennist007, Sep 16, 2010.

1. dennist007

dennist007 Registered

Just recently ran across emails that were put on hold or stopped. It would have been nice to have an email generated or whm indicate in red what services have gone offline, or needs attention

2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Using the Service Manager in WebHost Manager you can toggle monitoring for applicable services; if a service is detected as having failed you may automatically receive a notification of the event. Please see the following documentation (with reference menu navigation paths for WHM):

If the aforementioned features are not what you are looking for, please elaborate into further detail of the desired enhancement and how it may differ.

#2 cPanelDon, Sep 16, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  3. dennist007

dennist007 Registered

have tweaked out the best notifications that could be done

I config'd every area you specified (thank you for identifying same), unless that is a high, med, low alert setting that I did not adjust so well when a cpanel ticket was issued and replied to as:

Main >> Email >> Mail Queue Manager

Attempt to Deliver all messages in Queue fails to deliver but one at a time works

fix was:

Hello,

I believe that the reason this was not working from WHM is because all of the messages were in "frozen" status. I unfroze the messages with:

exiqgrep -z -i | xargs exim -Mt

I was then able to deliver all messages with:

exiqgrep -i | xargs exim -M

Please let us know if you need anything further.

Thank you

--
    Greg Holthaus
    Linux & FreeBSD Technical Analyst
    cPanel, Inc.

4. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Please let me know the ticket ID number of your support request; I would like to review the specific circumstances involved.

Based on the information provided thus far I can only offer speculation as to what may be the cause. I would venture to guess that e-mails were generated and attempted to be sent but the messages were held in the mail server queue because they could not be successfully delivered to the intended recipient.

I recommend checking the mail server logs to determine exactly why each specific message could not be delivered; you should find detail that indicates the cause and then be able to take appropriate corrective action.

5. dennist007

dennist007 Registered

Support Request Id 905406 - Attempt to Deliver all messages in Queue fails

Support Request Id 905406 - Attempt to Deliver all messages in Queue fails

6. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Search the Exim logs to identify why e-mails may have been delayed or failed delivery

Thank you for the information. I confirm that the noted resolution was to thaw messages that were frozen in the Exim mail server queue and then force a new attempt to deliver all messages in the mail queue.

The issue may be prevented by first identifying the root cause and then applying any necessary corrective measures, where applicable. To help obtain information about potential causes, including any possible errors, I recommend searching the Exim mail server logs for the message ID of an e-mail that was delayed. The message ID can most easily be obtained while viewing the full e-mail headers (source) of a received message. The Exim log information should help to identify a specific cause or at least narrow the possibilities to investigate further. The following post details how to search the Exim logs for a specific message ID: cPanel Forums - View Single Post - how to tell Exim to resend emails due to greylisting on other server?

7. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Friendly Moderator Note

To better organize the evolved, unique topic of discussion I have relocated this thread into the forums category for cPanel and WHM Discussions. To help clarify the feature request status, it is important to note that the requested functionality is currently available using existing features in cPanel and WebHost Manager (WHM) as detailed in an earlier reply posted to this thread.