The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WARNING: Stay AWAY from RAZORSKINS

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by Diatone, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Diatone

Diatone Well-Known Member

Hello,

I purchased the ELINK XT* WHT skin from RazorSkins.com the other day, and I just want to share my experience with anyone who is interested, or thinking of buying a skin from them.

First, the skin is absolutely horrible, not to mention costly. It is just plain missing a bunch of menu items, such as "ACCOUNT FUNCTIONS", and it's not a customization issue. It is just plain missing, along with other things. The skin also does not display properly in any of my browsers. The alignment is completely messed up. I am running a MAC with FIREFOX, SAFARI, and MOZILLA browsers, all displaying this page the same. I'm not sure if it would display wrong in IE. I have not tested it in IE. It also has multiple obvious spelling errors. Such as "DISK DIRVES". It also came with NO information on how to customize the color, nor any of the supposed "XHTML LINKS" you can add on yourself. The flash for the menu design is also slow and choppy.Not very well optimized for slower systems.

Now, this skin is completely un-usable I believe to anyone. It doesn't even have all the menu features that WHM has! It is borderline SCAM. They barely provide you with anything, let alone what they claim, a nice, finished, well designed theme for WHM 9.X. No wonder their is no working demo of this skin on their site.

Also, everyone should be aware, their terms and conditions DOES say they will not issue refunds on any of there skins. However, I requested my money back anyway, since I was not just 'unhappy' with the product, but the product was rendered totally unusable, to anyone, not just me. They refused to do so. I asked politely, and tried to tell them I would not use their skins on any of my servers, and delete all copies of the skin.

I am now, despite their terms and conditions, requesting a chargeback through american express. I talked to a rep at AMEX and they said they would most likely issue the chargeback in my favor, since they sold a faulty product. If i was just merely unhappy with the product for personal reason, they wouldn't, but since the product does not function as claimed, there are plenty of grounds for a chargeback.

Whether you like RazorSkins designs or not, they have incredibly bad business practices. I mean, willing to let bad press be spread, chargebacks filed, and many possible customers lost due to bad reviews about there product, just over refusing to issue a refund to a customer. I would NEVER treat my customers like this. I doubt any good business would. But then again, I've been in business since 97', and know that you don't bite the hand that feeds you such as this.

I hope this will sway anyone thinking of purchasing a RazorSkin, to think again.

Side Note: I've also purchased skins from CPANELXP Skin, CPSking, and RVSkin. Which have ALL been great. I recommend choosing one of them! NOT RazorSkin.

2. Diatone

WOW. Just went to post this at WebHostingTalk as well, however The phrase "razorskins" seems to be BANNED their.. HMMM I WONDER WHY!?

3. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

So you would not have warned anyone else about the problems in this skin if they had issued you a refund? :confused: You should warn us because you love us, not as some ultimate punishment in a blackmail scheme. :p

Why don't you post this in their thread?

I would be wary of any package that doesn't offer either a demo/trial or a satisfaction guarentee. There is at least one member of this forum quoted with a testimonial on the razorskin site. I wonder what they have to say about the skin.

Maybe it is something with Macs or maybe it is just something with you. I will be interested in how this plays out.

4. Diatone

Bad press about a skin, and bad press about customer service is entirely different. I would not have posted bad press about there COMPANY if they issued a refund, I would have about their skin.

That is what I meant, I thought that was implied.. No blackmail..

Anyway..

5. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I should have done this a long time ago.

I bought one of their skins about a year ago. The thing is never updated. I too requested a refund and was denied. Unfortauntely, I made the HUGE mistake of paying via PayPal and had no recourse.

Want to know what is worse? I gave them a good review within the first week I had it and it constantly shows up on their page. I specifically requested that it be removed, but that was ignored.

Dismal company, dismal support. Whatever you do, do NOT buy anything from them.

6. SarcNBit

That is terrible.

Yours was the endorsement I was referring to. Thank you for posting to clear that up.

7. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It was (and is still) a very frustrating experience. I posted it because they made a custom color for me very quickly and very cheaply, but when I installed it and started testing it, I came across number usability issues and some outright bugs. The WHM skin was completely useless. They promised an update which came about 4 months later, and since then, ZERO updates. And even that update didn't resolv most of the issues.

Maybe I should get some therapy to get it out of my system. :)

8. tAzMaNiAc

tAzMaNiAc Well-Known Member

Don't feel bad, I feel as ripped off as you do.

Brenden :)

9. Diatone

Glad, (and sad) I'm not alone. Spread the word where you can about this company. Also make sure to keep an eye out for them popping up with a new name.. That's what most scammers like this do.

10. Roy@ENHOST

Roy@ENHOST Well-Known Member

Is this what you were referring to?
    "Not only is the design very functional, but the support we have received has been absolutely top-notch! I suspect that these skins will get better and better over time!"

Anyway Webmotion, I hope you can post in this thread to explain to the poor customer.
    It takes >10 good feedbacks to make up for 1 bad feedback.
    Learnt this from Ebay.Also hope you guys can settle this dispute.

11. Keegan

Keegan Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Thanks for the heads up!

12. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Yeah, that was my recomendation. I contacted them again yesterday adn they told me they have removed it. Turns out they had deleted my user account too, so they created a new one, and I redownloaded their WHM theme. I'm sure I must be missing it, but I cannot find any account functions in it. Very bizzarre. I sent them a message last night. We'll see if I am just overlooking it, or if they have not put in account functions yet.

I havn't even looked at the cpanel skin...doubt I will.

13. SarcNBit

Looks like they have removed it. It has been replaced with an endorsement by an elink reseller.

14. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Interestingly, I wasn't overlooking it, it was a 'bug.' No account management in a WHM theme is a bug?

Oh well, they sent out a fix, so we'll see what's what.

The latest problem I noticed is that there is no way to change the WHM theme in their theme, so once you've gone to their theme, you have to edit the .whmtheme file to switch back to X.

:rolleyes:

15. Diatone

Yea, I got that 'update' as well. THe menu is so long it doesnt even let you CLICK all the account function options now. Lol. It's pure crap, I can't believe they bothered updating anything at all.

I can't wait till my statement comes from AMEX so I can begin to dispute the charge.

16. webmotion

webmotion Well-Known Member

Occasionally we have an unhappy client; we will not be influenced by hostile and idol threats. Our terms and conditions are set in place for certain reasons. Anyone who has been in the industry knows that the hosting industry is a constant revolving industry. Change it taking place everyday and I have not yet seen any hosting product that has no bugs, conflicts or installation issues. There will never a complete product in the industry; everything has to stay up to date. As well you will never find hosting products that will do everything you need it to do out of the box. (Some may differ) but as far as the norm, NO!. Majority of the issues we have had with Elink have been very minor adjustments. Initial knowledge can help fix minor issues with out the need for support. We have over 12 years in the industry with in depth knowledge of server technology, infrastructure and scripting. Think about it. I think we just all become a bit more selfish when our personal business is at stake and want things the way we want them. Other than that we have about 367 clients using Razorskins products. Not everyone is going to be totally happy due to their own expectations. Once our licensing system is in place then we will be able to offer refunds, until then we have no other choice. As far a Mr. Mahaffey is concerned it is funny that our servers still report he is stilling using the product and is requesting a refund.

17. icanectc

icanectc Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? Its a design... I have been in the business a lot longer than you have, all of what you said is true for the most part. The industry does change. But your product is a design contingent upon a product you have no control over (IE; cpanel). Your design (layout) should work the same as what's currently offered in a cPanel theme. not worse off. Web design changes are easy and minor to correct. But one guy is having a problem that no account menus at all appear.. Thats bad programming period on your part, you can't blame anyone else for that, and it's not his job to fix it. He paid you for a product not for 50% of a product. Or he should have been so advised that not all functions are currently working. You gave him the impression and many others it seems that the product was complete. Dont give me any crap about it being constantly updated. Constantly updated is 1 thing to throw out a product thats missing entire variables inside WHM is another. Sorry end of dicussion. Trust me if I paid for a product that apparently has been done as happhazardly as yours - I would be getting my money back. Its called Better Business Bureau. If I were running your company I would stop accepting new orders get everything working the way it should then improve on that. But basics should be working without a hitch. Sloppy, Sloppy. Sloppy programming. Not to mention money hungry

18. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I think the inability to manage accounts in a WHM skin goes a little beyond what most people would consider a bug...

I tried to get a refund a year ago. They denied it. I was quite irritated. Time has lessened it. I was glad that they recreated my account, but I still find the skin quite lacking compared to RVSkin. I switched to that soon after the razroskins fiasco and I couldn't be happier.

And, really, the X skin is fine for WHM. No need for anything fancy there.

19. icanectc

icanectc Well-Known Member

and on a side note. how dare you the owner or operator of the site sit there and say " if he wants a refund so bad, why is he still using the skin".. HELLO he paid for it!! You won't give him his money back, whats he supposed to do NOT use it! You sir are not professional in the least, your actually BLAIMING your customer. Your a moron, plan and simple.

20. newhoster2

newhoster2 Member

I bought some skins from these guys a while back I have had no major issues. Infact my clients like them....Bitching its not going to get your anywhere in life.. I would still buy from them again.

Look at yourself...LMAO!, You do web design and use web design templates? Now thats funny! Get some skills! :rolleyes: