The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was my email actually sent? Many questions...

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by FFMG, Apr 30, 2007.

1. FFMG

FFMG Registered

Apr 30, 2007

Can cPanel tell me if my email was sent or not?

I used the php mail(...) function to send about 1500 emails to some of my members.
    because my shared server has mail limitation I divided the mail drop into groups of 600 per hour.
    The script was running at about 50 emails every 5 minutes.

But so far the response has been far from what I expected, (I used a link to monitor the response).

This lead me to believe that not everybody received my email.
    I also didn't receive any 'bounced' email. I find it hard to believe that every single address arrived at destination without a glitch.

Is there was way for cPanel to tell me if my email was actually sent or not?
    My error log does not seem to show anything and my mail(...) function works fine when I send test emails to myself.

Could it also be that the script did not always send many emails?, (maybe because the queue was full or something).
    Sadly/Stupidly I did not check the mail(...) return value, because mail(...) has always worked for me.
    But could my server have rejected some emails while it was dealing with some others?

As you can imagine I am reluctant to send any more email, I would rather get a list of what emails were actually sent so I don't send it to those users again.

Many thanks

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Go on, have a guess
    If you have root access to the server then you could check in the exim mainlog (/var/log/exim_mainlog) which logs all the email transactions. If you don't have root access, then you would have to ask your hosting provider to search the server log for you.