The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Way behind on updates

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Edward123, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Edward123

Edward123 Member

My last upgrade of anything on this server was more than a year ago, when updating to the WHM/Cpanel 6.4.2-S release (from an earlier 6.x) caused a crash that took my datacenter folks & me nearly 2 days to straignten out.

Here's where it is now:

WHM 6.4.2
    Cpanel 6.4.2-S75
    RedHat 7.3

Server Version: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.0 PHP/4.2.3 FrontPage/5.0.2.2510 mod_ssl/2.8.11 OpenSSL/0.9.6b

(I hear all of you screaming at me(!), but the crash experience cost me two very valuable customers and made me, lets call it hyper-paranoid, about upgrading. And the posts on the WHM/CPANEL related forums haven't made me feel any more secure. Nonetheless, I have finally resigned myself to the fact that I need to update nearly everything on this server.)

I have spent the last several weeks reviewing the many forums and how-to's, and have boiled it down to these questions:

1.) In what order should the upgrades be performed? Linux/Kernel, then apache, then WHM/CPANEL? or some other order?

2.) Are there any specific major disaters that are certain to happen when making such a big jump? (handy ways to avoid them?)

3.) Any other advice? (besides "Try keeping current. you idiot.")

Thanks in advance for your insight.

2. compunet2

compunet2 Well-Known Member

Doesn't really matter all that much.... kernel, apache, whm, sounds fine to me.

3. Sinewy

Sinewy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    kernel, cpanel/whm, apache.

4. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

Yea, I concur, kernel, cpanel, apache, good luck,