The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ways to change catch-all or avoiding spam?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by AndreasO, Aug 13, 2015.

1. AndreasO

AndreasO Registered

Aug 13, 2015
    cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner

I had some conversation with my hosting provider. I wanted to change the address for catch-all or disable this function for my website because it is receiving a lot of spam. Nearly all the spam goes to non existent addresses.

The main problem I have is, that I don't see the "default address" button in cpanel. I don't have access to WHM so I can't enable this function. That's right?

The first answer from my hosting provider was that I should change the destination to "blackhole". No word about where I should to this.

I then told them that I don't see the "default address" button and I wanted to know where I can make the setting.

After waiting two weeks an an request if the problem will be resolved I got a new answer: That setting can be done under "Forwarders".

I then told them again that I don't want to discard all mails but only the ones that are received by the catch-all function. Also I told them that enabling the "default address" function would fit my requirements.

The next answer was quiete short: They checked it and I should use :blackhole: to discard all messages.

So my question is: Am I the stupid one or should I look for another hosting provider who knows how to work with cpanel?

I know that greylisting could help but this function is also not available. So I added an Email Filter which checks the recipient fields and discards non fitting messages. I hope this helps for most of the spam.

Do you have other solutions?

Here is a screenshot from my cpanel:

Best regards,
    #1 AndreasO, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2015
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You should have your hosting provider enable the "Default Address" option in cPanel. They can do this by editing the feature list associated with the package assigned to your account. You may need to switch providers if your existing provider is unsure how to make this change.

Thank you.