The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

we deleted my ssh user during the move to the VPS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by durangod, Aug 5, 2014.

1. durangod

durangod Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I had setup a user as a reseller and gave them ssh and got rid of my root login and used sudo su when i needed it.

When i set up that account (before the move) it asked for a domain so i gave it my domain. When we went to do the move my host said, did you move any files your domain is already there. I said no i didnt move any files yet. So he deleted that because it matched the domain we were moving over.

And it didnt click with me that this was my ssh login user.

OK so no biggie, im locked out of ssh but i think i can fix it. Ill just recreate user again under accounts and set them up as a reseller, easy... NOT

it wont let me use the same domain or leave it blank.

its asking for a domain, so now it sounds like i have to spend 12 bucks to register a domain just for this user to use to get into ssh, thats obsurd.. am i doing this wrong... how else do i create a user if i dont do it under add new account (which requires a domain) ?

now just to be clear here, im trying to create the account under vps whm accounts section. Is that correct ?

#1 durangod, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  2. GoZen

GoZen Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Just create a new domain without the need of a real domain (make sure your security settings allow that for now) and add that user to root users with ssh access.
    Then log on using ssh and that user and fix your problems :)

Regards

Manos

3. corporatehost

corporatehost Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I hope, "Modify An Account" in the WHM will be helpful for you at this stage. Please note that you can change the username to any other username or if you would like to change the current domain name of particular user, you can use modify an account option.

I understand that you're moving ( migrating ) accounts from one vps server to another vps server. You can simply change the domain name of the user in question and you can migrate your accounts again.

I think, this might help. Please let me know whether my understanding on your issue is correct ?

4. durangod

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi, no im a reseller that was on a shared server, so im moving all my accounts including my reseller account to a vps so that i am on my own.

I dont understand how to create a domain without making it a real domain, you talking about parking it? And do i create this in whm or cpanel for the vps or whm or cpanel for the reseller..

lol.. i told my host next time we are shutting down everything and going to do this in one fell swoop, having copies of everything is so confusing..

so lets take this one step at a time.

1. first thing i need to do is create a domain - real or now, so how is that done ? registrar panel?
    2. then i need to create a new user or modify an existing one (i guess i could add my current reseller to the wheel)?
    3. i need to get into cpanel vps or reseller cpanel and set a new key by the same name as i had before.
    4. download the key convert it and pray that the login works lol...

wait maybe number one should be have a drink lol

5. durangod

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    ok so step 1,

ill log into my reseller account and create a key there which will bypass the need to have another domain. And then i will add my reseller to the wheel.

- - - Updated - - -

that wont work because the user has to be the same name as what is in the config... and the add account wont accept a sub domain

- - - Updated - - -

im going to bite the bullet here instead of getting all stressed out ill just purchase a domain lol

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Keep in mind that a valid registered domain name is not required or in any way related to authentication into SSH. You simply need to ensure a user is created and allowed to authenticate into SSH.

Thank you.

7. durangod

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    ok thanks, i guess i could wait for my host and just have them change the name in the config file to match my reseller or whatever i choose but that could take awhile.

Thanks for the info i think i got it from here... thanks all :)

8. GoZen

GoZen Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Or ask them to modify root login to allow so you can fix everything yourself.