We have a VPS with one domain working fine—added another as remote alias, then transerred new domain to same name servers - NOW SERVER NOT FOUND

Aethon

Registered
Nov 15, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Let me try to better explain this :

Original sitedomain.org on old server, I don't have access to this server (have to go through a middle man)

New sitedomain.ca—built on GoDaddy VPS (same domain name BUT WITH new extension) so I could easily work and finish the new site while allowing everyone else to keep visiting the old site until it was time to go live with new site. New domain was registered with GoDaddy.

FINALLY, the new site is ready and I'm trying to figure out how to bring in the new one (which is to be the principal domain). I tried making a domain alias at first but it wouldn't let me because it's not pointing to our new VPS. Then I learned that I can tick the Allow Remote Domains and Allow unregistered domains so I can now create that alias.

The alias has allowed me to recreate email accounts and I thought, now, if we update the name servers of the remote domain and point to the same name servers as my made-in-GoDaddy .CA domain that all would be hunky dory.

Wrong.

I called the guy at the old server just before leaving the office at 5pm (this would be easier if I could actually access that domain info myself) and I stupidly told him to use the same name servers as my .CA—and now the new site still works but the site with the main .ORG site that everyone is familiar with has disappeared with these errors when I inspect :

Pass
Glue for NS recordsOK. Your nameservers (the ones reported by the parent server) have no ideea who your nameservers are so this will be a pass since you already have a lot of errors!
Error
Mismatched NS recordsWARNING: One or more of your nameservers did not return any of your NS records.
Error
DNS servers respondedERROR: One or more of your nameservers did not respond:

Now I don't know a lot about some of these subtleties, and I have no access to the original domain DNS in order to correct my mistake - not until the guy comes into work tomorrow morning.

So I feel like an idiot and still not sure what to do. I was planning to transfer the domain over after propagation of the new server info but now I just wanna fix what I did ASAP.

Help!

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
I tried making a domain alias at first but it wouldn't let me because it's not pointing to our new VPS. Then I learned that I can tick the Allow Remote Domains and Allow unregistered domains so I can now create that alias.
So, allow remote domains and allow unregistered domains, do let you add domains that don't point to the server and domains that aren't registered but this would NOT have any effect on the DNS if it's not pointed to the server
The alias has allowed me to recreate email accounts and I thought, now, if we update the name servers of the remote domain and point to the same name servers as my made-in-GoDaddy .CA domain that all would be hunky dory.
Technically that should have worked, pending the .org domain's nameservers were updated properly. You mentioned you didn't have access to the hosting for that domain but do you have access to the registrar? If the hosting provider for the .org domain changed the nameservers in the DNS zone file on the server but DNS wasn't modified at the registrar level the behavior you're seeing could be what's occurring.

I have no access to the original domain DNS in order to correct my mistake - not until the guy comes into work tomorrow morning.
If the change was made where .org is hosted and you have no access to both the hosting and the registrar, that is correct, unfortunately you would not be able to resolve this until the provider is able to reverse the modifications they made.

Reactions: Aethon

Aethon

Registered
Nov 15, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
So, allow remote domains and allow unregistered domains, do let you add domains that don't point to the server and domains that aren't registered but this would NOT have any effect on the DNS if it's not pointed to the server

Technically that should have worked, pending the .org domain's nameservers were updated properly. You mentioned you didn't have access to the hosting for that domain but do you have access to the registrar? If the hosting provider for the .org domain changed the nameservers in the DNS zone file on the server but DNS wasn't modified at the registrar level the behavior you're seeing could be what's occurring.

If the change was made where .org is hosted and you have no access to both the hosting and the registrar, that is correct, unfortunately you would not be able to resolve this until the provider is able to reverse the modifications they made.
Thanks for that.. I'm transferring the site to our account tomorrow and I think it will be MUCH simpler then.

Reactions: cPanelLauren