The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We need a solution for nobody@ourhostname.com!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sexy_guy, Apr 15, 2003.

1. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

When can we have this very annoying problem resolved? Any users sending email from php scripts is sending email out from our server as nobody@ourhostname.com. Then if the email bounces it returnes to us. Surely if Ensim can do cPanel can. I just dont beleive that this has been going on for months and months and there is no resolution for this. We have to constantly babysit our email server making sure our users are not sending out unsolicited email from nobody and we have had to install mail monitor programs to try to catch and identify spammers in the hope that it will tell us who it is. This is crazy!

And the number 1 rule for security is NEVER EVER to run Apache as NOBODY? Why is Apache running as Nobody anyway?

#1 sexy_guy, Apr 15, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2003
  2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

This problem has been resolved a long time ago. Have a read of the first few headings in your WHM News.

As for apache running as nobody. What would recommend it be run as? And how would running under a different username help aid in securing the server?

3. sexy_guy

The problem has not been resolved at all. Having to go through all the directories to change permissions to get phpsuexec running is not really my cup of tea. Howabout yours? Try apache instead of nobody!

Unroutable Mail Domain Error If you are seeing this error when sending mail from php scripts you should disable the 'Prevent the user 'nobody' from sending out mail to remote addresses' option in tweak settings. Unless you have installed phpsuexec all php scripts will run as the user 'nobody'. Please note that this is nothing wrong with this feature, and it functions exactly as it is intented to. We have included this message because many people were unclear as to what this feature does.

Hmm where was it explained to use? As with many functions nothing is explained. I guess we are mind readers. This msg still does not explain to an idiot what he has to do with php permissions. There are conflicting reports that this works, well almost, but i dont see a definate HOWTO on what should be done.

#3 sexy_guy, Apr 15, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2003
  4. sexy_guy

*BUMP*

Can somebody tell us what we need to do afte installing phpsuexec?

Do you need to change the permissions of all php scripts on the server?

Why are these questions so hard to answer for Darkorb?

5. AlaskanWolf

AlaskanWolf Well-Known Member

agreed, phpsuexec is a NIGHTMARE, it took me only 10 minutes to reconfigure without it on one of our servers

6. web12

web12 Well-Known Member

I wouldnt put phpsuexec on a live environment if I were you.

I had all sorts of problems, and getting Cpanel support to look into a particular problem, they advised me to remove phpsuexec because it wasnt stable.

So yeah, that is confusing. :confused:

7. vishal

vishal Well-Known Member

Is it Resolved???

Hello,

Is it Resolved for anybody of u ??? If Yes PLZZZZZZ let me know what has to be done???????

Regards,

8. sexy_guy

Well thats very sad indeed. So that means i have keep hunting through my logs trying to identify people sending msgs from my server as nobody? This issue is way old and this is not an solution. If phpsuexec is not a solution what is? I mean come on guys. Whats left? Maybe darkorb can could rewrite the enire mail delivery system or do something. Look i just had a spammer cycle over 1,300+ msg from my server the other day and even after 5hrs of trying to identify him i couldnt do it because those msgs left my server as nobody! This is just ridiculous.

#8 sexy_guy, Apr 16, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2003
  9. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    To those that are having the 'nobody' problem, have you set anything in WHM > Tweak Settings > The maximum each domain can send out per hour (0 is unlimited) or have you left it at zero?

I'm curious as to whether it works and if so, does it work with both types of eMail sending, SMTP and code scripts, or just one type -- and if so, which one.

10. sexy_guy

I have not tried it! I mean how does one determine that without making the site owner angry? 250 300, 500?

#10 sexy_guy, Apr 16, 2003
  11. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Ok,

1. WHY OH WHY are you using an EXPERIMENTAL feature on a live server? If your having problems with phpsuexec, you should have realised there would be problems in the first place.

2. There is a solution to the mail being sent as nobody problem and the ANSWER IS LISTED IN WHM NEWS. This solution will not work if you are running phpsuexec.

12. sexy_guy

If your talking to me then you have not read my messages properly. Who is running phpsuexec? I certainly am not running it!! What answer are you talking about? Please enlighted me! I dont want my mail being sent as nobody anymore and i certainly dont want it arriving at the destination as nobody which is whats happening as i just found out when sending email from Modernbill. All our email is arriving as nobody@mydomain.com instead of from: billing@mydomain.com.

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8967

This is crazy!

#12 sexy_guy, Apr 16, 2003
  13. vishal

vishal Well-Known Member

let me know

Hello,

Could u pls let me know what should i tell my clients how do they execute the php scripts ? do they have to do something special ?

rather than changing the permissions!!!

Regards,

:confused:

14. sexy_guy

Phantom, it goes without say that 99% of the time any php scripts uploaded should be running at 755 anyway! Or am i wrong. At least thats what we have had to do on previous occasions.

15. vishal

vishal Well-Known Member

thapahantom!!!!

Hello,

ThaPhantom did it resolved you mail() function problem of php.
    Are the scripts able to send mails through mail() of php with phpsuexec enabled?

Regards,
    :eek: :confused:

16. vishal

vishal Well-Known Member

Will try it

Hello,

Thanks I'll give it a SHOT then.

Regards,
    :)

17. silvernetuk

silvernetuk Well-Known Member

Hi,

I install this phpsuexec, and I had clients saying there scripts where not working, so I uninstalled it at the time, but what should these php scripts be set to if phpsuexec is installed ?

Regards,
    Garry

18. tcwebguy

tcwebguy Active Member

Any Solutions

Short of installing PHPSuExec, has anyone encountered a viable solution for correcting the nobody@ issue?

I have read as many posts about it as I can find and still no resolution....

19. howard

howard Well-Known Member

20. Uneeeq

Uneeeq Member

The avove solutions cover those PHP scripts that declare FROM header -- when the PHP script packs and sends the email bits to PHP mail() function...

There are m-a-n-y PHP scripts which do not declare FROM in the header - or from field at all.... so those will still end up sending as nobody@servername

I think one of the PHPBB scripts that runs on our server still does not declare FROM - but then those are ((me thinks)) exceptions and we will then tell customers that it is their PHP script which needs additional line of code declaring FROM in its code that does uses PHP mail() function