The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Web logs stopped rotating

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jerrybell, Feb 13, 2009.

1. jerrybell

jerrybell Well-Known Member

I am running cPanel 11.24.4-C33868 - WHM 11.24.2 - X 3.9 on FreeBSD 6.2.

The night before last, the web logs stopped rotating (presumably after a cpanel SW update) - exim had stopped processing mail, too, but I fixed that by running the perl fix script and restarting exim.

Can you point me to the utility that cpanel uses to rotate them? I had thought it was newsyslog, but newsyslog doesn't have any references to the web server logs in the config file.

Thanks,

Jerry

2. jerrybell

jerrybell Well-Known Member

I think I was able to solve the problem. Here is what I found:

My stats configuration page was showing that my server was having trouble keeping up with the load. I knew this was bogus (few sites, big honking server). I figured out that I can manually perform what cpanellogd does with the /scripts/runweblogs tool. When I did that, I got an error message that Cpanel/Cleanup.pm was not found.

After a bit of investigating, it appeared that cpanel had updated perl from 5.8.8 to 5.8.9. 5.8.8 had all of the right files that were missing, but 5.8.9 had none.

A quick google search suggested running the command: /usr/local/cpanel/bin/checkperlmodules
    After that completed successfully, /scripts/runweblogs completes without compliant. I do not yet for certain that this will fix the the problem of auto rotating logs, but I suspect it will.