The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

web protection password limit

Discussion in 'Security' started by okanari, Sep 29, 2005.

1. okanari

okanari Member

I have password protected directories and one of this directories have 20 characters long password. But I am writing first 10 characters and I can reach the data.

How can I increase the password character limit to 30?

Thank you

2. ghstber

ghstber Member

Sorry to bring this issue back up ('05 issue with no answer), but I've had this problem as well. When assigning a password to a web-protect user on one particular server we have, cPanel throws an error saying:

"The following error(s) occurred: A limit of the max characters in the password field to 8 characters."

This is only happening on one of many servers, and I didn't find anything searching the forums. Anyone have any information?

3. manokiss

manokiss Well-Known Member

SAme problem here, wondering if someone could confirm if this is a new limit or if is a bug or something else.

Thank you!

4. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The password length limitation is caused by the password encryption cpanel is using for the Apache authentication. It's been around forever - it's actually a limitation of the system library call crypt(3).

Presumably some apache's won't have it, depending on whether the underlying library call has been fixed or not.

If you are relying on Apache basic auth, you'll need to recompile Apache to get the length extended - using either a different version of the crypt call or some other Apache option.

You could use longer passwords if you did session based authentication, and I think that could probably be made to look the same way to a user.

5. manokiss

manokiss Well-Known Member

Thank you!