The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Web server grouping / clustering

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by dorac, May 23, 2014.

1. dorac

dorac Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi guys,

Newbie here :)

I have a single server with 700 accounts, two name servers. I have a new second server with no accounts, and would like to share the accounts between the two, so both servers would have 350 accounts each. I've noticed that many host's have their reseller accounts setup like that with some accounts on different ip addresses (not dedicated ips).

I'm sure there must be some kind of documentation about it, but I can't find anything. I tried searching for clustering but dns clusters and nameservers pop up which I don't think it is.

Any help please? Thanks, much appreciated!

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  3. dorac

dorac Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks alot Infopro! Much appreciated! After reading that, I noticed that I have two nameservers ns1.muniserver.com and ns2.muniserver.com but despite I've used them for ages, they aren't enabled and set in DNS clustering. Did I originally set this up wrong or something? Do I need both my name servers in there before I can add my additional server? Thanks again for all of your prompt assistance!

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Clustering is not enabled by default. If you plan to setup a DNS cluster and keep the name servers the same for all domain names, you should consider purchasing a third server, installing cPanel DNS-Only, and then updating the name server IP addresses at the domain registrar for your domain name. Otherwise, the alternative is to setup new name servers for the new server (e.g. NS3/NS4) and simply change the name servers for the domain names at their respective registrars.

Thank you.