The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

web site IP address

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by speedracer3000, Sep 1, 2004.

1. speedracer3000

speedracer3000 Registered

I have been provided an IP address with my new account today, but the IP does not resolve to where my index.html is in the /www or public_html folder. Instead it brings a page with msg: "cPanel... There is no website configured at this address... etc"

In order to access my web site, I have to use the http://xx.xx.xx.xx/~accountname/index.html

This is a pain because my DNS server (not hosted by acenet) wants numeric IP, not an URL.

How is everyone else setting their site up?

Am I missing something here?

Any comment is appreciated!

2. linux-image

linux-image Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    if you want to access your site via the ip address; then you should have a dedicated ip address. ie.. you need to get an ip address of your own from your webhost and assign it to your domain.

currently it seems that you have got a shared ip address; and hence unless you specify the http://ipaddress/~username/ of your account you will not be able to reach it.

once your domain is fully propagated; you can reach it fine by using just the domain. Kindly enquire the webhost about your nameserver ip's so that you can update this at the DNS. the ip address at the DNS is where the nameservers for your domain reside; it might be or need not be same as that of your domain ip address.

i might seem confusing; in case of any further doubts;let me know.