The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

webalizer config

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mivo, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Mivo

Mivo Member

Is it possible to re-configure webalizer? I can\'t locate webalizer.conf at all.

2. bdraco

bdraco Guest

[quote:819955e09f]Is it possible to re-configure webalizer? I can\'t locate webalizer.conf at all. [/quote:819955e09f]

Nope all the options are passed at run time. What would you have it do?

3. Mivo

Mivo Member

[quote:300601e286]Nope all the options are passed at run time. What would you have it do? [/quote:300601e286]
    Thanks. I have been using webtrends to monitor the server stats on one of my clients before I switch to CPanel. As per my clients\' request, I had modified webtrends to count as a new visit if a visitor is active again after an inactivity of 15 minutes (the default is 30 minutes). Webalizer\'s default is also 30 minutes, so to be consistent to my clients\' previous stats I would want to modify Webalizer\'s default to 15 minutes.

I think it would be good if you can give us access to modify the webalizer config, if not in the current version, in the NocSoft release.

Another thing I want to be implemented is an option for us to save or delete the log files. The current CPanel setup is all log files are automatically deleted every end of the month. Because of this I\'ve got one month of logfiles totally lost (the month I switch to CPanel). One of my clients was deligently saving all logfiles for the past 3 years.

4. eva2000

eva2000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    i\'m using cpanel 3.5 not game enough to run update yet :)

i\'d like webalizer to count .php .php3 .phtml files in the pageview count cause it doesn\'t do that right now :(

5. paul-ukhost

paul-ukhost Well-Known Member

I cant find the webalizer.conf file either

6. kensmith

kensmith Member

Put webalizer.conf in your home directory

Just place a webalizer.conf in your home directory, and it will be used. Works fine.

You may have to grab an example file from the webalizer site to see how it works.

FWIW, I originally was doing:

HideSite *mydomain.com
    HideReferrer *mydomain.com

and found that to be ineffective. The wildcards are apparently not needed. Use

HideSite mydomain.com
    HideReferrer mydomain.com

instead.

7. shann

shann Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    hi

Where do we see the current webalizer.conf file or which file webalizer currently use to update stats.

thanks

8. Networkologist

Networkologist Well-Known Member

I've been trying to get Webalizer to display the Top 100 entry and exit pages for a client of mine. I've changed the config file to 10, by mistake. It still display 30, which is the default.

Guess what I'm trying to ask is, has anyone any success in changing entry and exit pages?

9. feldon27

feldon27 Well-Known Member

Webalizer badly needs a customization module in cPanel. I'll write if they want.

But first, I have to find the bloody webalizer.conf. :(

10. feldon27

Ok!

The secret to this is, by default, WHM/cPanel dos not create a webalizer.conf!

After literally 2-3 hours of searching, I have discovered that if you look in /usr/local/cpanel/cpanellogd, you will find that it calls analog, webalizer, and the other log programs by commandline.

Now, it seems unsafe to modify this file directly, as cPanel tends to blow up when you mess with its files. First, take a look at the code in cpanellogd:

Code:
         if (-e "$homedir/webalizer.conf") {
             logsystem("$root/bin/logrunner ${cpunum}.0 
             $root/3rdparty/bin/${weblang}webalizer -c $homedir/webalizer.conf -N 10 -D 
             $homedir/tmp/webalizer/dns_cache.db -R 250 -p -n ${access_log_name} 
             -o $homedir/tmp/webalizer ${waccess_log}");
          } else {
             logsystem("$root/bin/logrunner ${cpunum}.0 
             $root/3rdparty/bin/${weblang}webalizer -N 10 -D 
             $homedir/tmp/webalizer/dns_cache.db -R 250 -p -n ${access_log_name} 
             -o $homedir/tmp/webalizer ${waccess_log}");
          }

In English, that means that it calls webalizer by commandline and gives it all the necessary paths for the logfiles, history, etc. and if you put a webalizer.conf in your user directory (right at the root, not in /etc/webalizer/), it SHOULD cumulatively add the contents of your webalizer.conf. I wish the webalizer docs were clearer on whether the commandline trumped the config file or vice versa. :(

If the commandline overrides webalizer.conf, then we are only being locked out of changing -R (# of referrers locked to 250), -n (the server's own IP), and -p (incremental) which are all, IMO, set satisfactorily anyway.

I know the first thing I'm adding is -M 4 -A 30 (ignore OS + minor point releases when reporting browsers and list the top 30)!!

If this works, it's great because we don't have to worry about the log file names/paths, etc. in our config files.

[color=EECC00]I have NOT tested this, so it may blow up your webalizer, cPanel, etc.[/color]

Please report any success/failures in this thread. Can I ask cPanel folks why this is not documented?

11. feldon27

My webalizer process just ran and having a webalizer.conf file in my home directory worked perfectly. The 3 lines I put in my webalizer.conf had a cumulative, rather than disasterous/replacing effect on webalizer's runtime settings. :)

My webalizer.conf file so far...
    Code:
    MangleAgents 4
    TopAgents 30
    TopSearch 30

12. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

Ths is cool!!!! thanks for all your hard work on this!!!

hey ..do you know if there is something we can stick in their conf file to make it skip to the next account?

13. Juanra

Juanra Well-Known Member

There is this condition in cpanellogd:

if (!$skipwebalizer || $Cpanel::CPDATA{'FEATURE-WEBALIZER'}) {
    }

So it seems that you can disable webalizer serverwide (from Tweak Settings window in WHM) and enable it for each account (adding FEATURE-WEBALIZER=1 to the /var/cpanel/users/user file by hand, it seems). And analogously for the other stats packages.

Maybe this is not documented because it's subject to change ?

14. roax66

roax66 Well-Known Member

Webalizer on subdomains

What about the case with having several domains under one account and a separate Apache log file per domain? I take it webalizer.conf shall be put in the account root directory? And webalizer.conf does not allow to specify domain specific log files?

I have moved all my domain specific Apache log files away from the /usr partition into another directory on the /home partition.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to set webalizer to check each domain specific Apache log file on the /home partition?

15. openhouse

openhouse Registered

When does cpanel schedule webalizer?

All the information here is really useful ;)

I've been using my new .conf files without a problem. My question is: Does anyone know how cpanel schedules webalizer?
    I can't find it in the cronscripts. I was searching for the script that does and all my sites were updated but I am not sure what I did to cause this as I haven´t modified any crontjobs.

Thanks
    Jesse

SOLVED MY OWN PROBLEM VERRRY VERRRY USEFUL

I added this script to /etc/logrotate.d/ directory. it runs at 5 am every day. It removes the /home/[USER]/tmp/lastrun then calls the cpanellogd [user] then rotates the apache log and hangsup the httpd process.

/usr/local/apache/domlogs/USERDOMAIN.com{
    # rotate log files daily
    daily
    rotate 7
    create
    compress
    size=1M
    prerotate
    rm -f /home/[USER]/tmp/lastrun
    /usr/local/cpanel/cpanellogd [USER]
    endscript
    postrotate
    /bin/kill -HUP `cat /usr/local/apache/logs/httpd.pid 2>/dev/null` 2> /dev/null || true
    endscript
    }

I hope you find this useful

Jesse

#15 openhouse, Mar 18, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2004
  16. ottawacomputer.

ottawacomputer. Registered

Individual user configs

This info proves to be most helpful. One other question though...

It seems that cPanel triggers webalizer to run on a daily basis. When a user is creating their config file they would likely want to test it. Is there a way that the individuals can manually trigger webalizer to regenerate their stats?

17. feldon27

Looks like this is how Webalizer is run:
    /usr/local/cpanel/cpanellogd [USER]

18. ottawacomputer.

ottawacomputer. Registered

I don't think an individual user can run that without having root access.

19. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

That is correct, it can only be run under the root account. If you are not the server admin, you would have to ask your hosting provider to run it for you.

20. neo4242002

neo4242002 Well-Known Member

I can see my September 2005 webstats are broken in webalizer stast. Can I regenerate it?