The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Webalizer Connectivity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WeezelDS, Mar 20, 2006.

1. WeezelDS

WeezelDS Member

Hello,
    I'm trying to do something to help my link exchange effectiveness, and I was hoping I could use webalizer's log stats to do it. Basically, I'm trying to sort my link exchanges (in PHP) by the number of incoming hits I'm getting from my link partners. So basically when you load one of my links pages, I want to search the webalizer log file and see how many times each link exchange partner has referred users to my site, giving priority to those partners who send the most links to my site. Anybody have any strategies or hints about how to make this work?...I'm worried that php is gonna have a hard time sorting through those huge log files...is there maybe a way to query webalizer directly?

thanks for any help anybody can offer

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

You're probably going to be better off simply using PHP to store the value of $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'] and then manage things based on those stats.

If you rely on data from webalizer, or indeed on the data of any external application over which you have no control, thing might just suddenly break if the app you are relying on changes.

3. WeezelDS

WeezelDS Member

That makes sense...thanks for the help

...I'm kinda glad that this isn't possible...prolly woulda been quite a pain :)

4. WeezelDS

WeezelDS Member

btw, just referring to $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'] isn't going to cut it, since i need to know how many times each link partner has sent traffic within the past, say 3 months or so, rather than just knowing who the referrer was for just this session...assuming webalizer won't change...how can it be done?