The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Webalizer vs. AWStats?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jq99, May 8, 2008.

1. jq99

jq99 Registered

I did a search for this topic so that it didn't get talked about yet again...but what I found wasn't completely helpful.

I'm kind of new to this whole thing...so please hang with me a moment.

I was looking at the stats for my site and realized there was a SIGNIFICANT difference between what Webalizer came up with and what AWStats came up with.

For the month of April 2008:

Webalizer:
    Visits: 18,776
    Pages: 33,343
    Hits: 1,010,808​

AWStats:
    Visits: 20,651
    Pages: 108,825
    Hits: 908,425​

Now...the visits are only 1,875 off from each other, but the pages have a difference of 75,482 while the hits have a difference of 102,383!

Can some explain why they would show close to the same numbers? Also...which one would then become the most reliable to use as a stat resource. (Keep in mind I understand that Google Analytics would probably be the best...but these are already installed.)

Thank you for your time.

2. DaveUsedToWorkHere

DaveUsedToWorkHere Well-Known Member

The terminology between Webalizer and AWstats for pages, files and visits is pretty much the same. However, they use different algorithms to parse out the apache access logs for your site. Those are some pretty big discrepancies. Is that happening over a period of multiple months, or is this the first month of stats?

I know a lot of people like how AWstats measures traffic. If you really want to find out who is right, you can download the raw apache access log and compare but that's obviously a lot of work. Try to see what happens next month. It's likely that the specific pages people are entering and exiting your site on and the number of unique visitors will be more valuable to you than the number of pages served but I might be wrong in that assumption.

3. jq99

jq99 Registered

Thanks!

cpanelDave...

Thanks for your explanation...very clear. I'll see what happens next month. Thank you.