The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Webdav Users Guide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PCZero, Oct 7, 2015.

1. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

I am attempting to set up Webdav for a client who is using an android device. We were 100% successful in doing so and he is connected to the server. However we cannot find any reference as to the actual use of the product. The series of buttons or icons at the bottom of the app may be intuitive to some but neither of us can figure it out at all. Is there an actual users guide apart from the installation and set up guide?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    What is it that you're unsure about?

Once you're logged in you see these icons:
    Add directory | Refresh view | Upload a document | Upload an Image | Capture an Image or Video | View File | Create Bookmark to a specific directory | Local Files access

Clicking that last one provides similar tools for local files, instead of remote, on your device. There's also one for recording an audio file there.

There is no actual user guide, but maybe there should be. I'll see what can be done there when I get some time.

3. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

Thank you for eh quick reply... This is kind of odd thugh. You have listed EIGHT different icons. On my app there are only SIX icons (flush left) and ONE (flush right).

1: A folder with a plus sign (I assume create folder).
    2: The standard refresh icon.
    3: A frame with what looks like to be a mountain and one star, no idea what that does.
    4: A camera icon, could be many different things.
    5: An SD card icon, again no idea what it is supposed to do.
    6: An icon that sort of looks like a target, a square frame with a circle and a dot inside it, no clue.

7: (flush right) An down arrow icon that looks to be some sort of download.

I have no idea at all how those relate to the EIGHT icons you describe.

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    None, really? Click into them. I didn't describe the icons as you have here, but my descriptions are valid to give you some idea.

5. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

No actually no I don't have any idea. I DID click on each of the icons and when the initial actions that resulted were unclear with what they were doing or how to proceed, I VERY WISELY did not proceed. It is a very foolish admin who uses a tool to access his server/web site with no guidance as to what that tool is about to do.

I appreciate the effort but giving me a list of eight features that the app does when it actually only has seven icons and then saying I should be able to figure it out on that input is frustrating at best. Hopefully someone who has the app installed on an Android device will be able to provide guidance as to the exact nature of each of the icons and how to use them. I would never tell one of my customers to just 'play around with it and figure it out' when working with live data on the server.

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I was looking at my iPhone. The apps a a little bit different, as most all apps are between OS.

The mobile app(s) give you the ability to have access to your cPanel account directly from your device.

You're not going to break anything with this app. That is unless you delete cPanel system files you shouldn't be deleting.

I have the app installed on multiple devices (iOS & Android) and have maintained cPWebDisk with the actual developer who created it, for cPanel, for years now. If there's anyone that should know how it works, that would be me.

Please feel free to be more specific as to what confused you and I'll be happy to explain in more detail.

7. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

Well as to breaking anything that all depends on how one defines break. It is quite possible, when not knowing exactly what an app does, to accidentally delete or overwrite a file of any type. I do not mean to sound flippant but i do believe that i did ask for the help that I need by asking for a users guide. It would be very helpful to have a full documentation as to what each icon does (in all the various OS) such as what a press / long press initiates and how to complete the task (step by step) for each of those.

Perhaps I am thinking the app is designed to do more than it actually is designed for, I have no idea. Is it designed to allow a web master to update his web site? I am at a loss.

8. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

For reference to others who see this thread, the documentation in question is located at:

How to Connect to Web Disk on Your Mobile Device - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

InfoPro has mentioned looking into an update to the documentation to explain the features of the app in more detail:

In the meantime, feel free to let us know if you encounter any specific problems when using the application.

Thank you.

9. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

Thanks Michael that is very helpful info in setting up the app. At this point what I need is a primer on the full functionality of each of the six buttons at the bottom of the app as shown in the image below step number 7 for the Android install. The following seems likely...

Button #1:
    Adds a folder to the currently displayed directory.

Button #2:
    Refreshes the currently displayed directory.

Button #3:
    ??? Unsure - When tapped it brings up a sub menu of 'All Albums - Main - Contacts'. No idea what it does and how to use it though.

Button #4:
    Again not sure exactly. It stats the camera app but I am not sure if it lets you take picture and directly upload it to te current directory or not. If so does it also allow upload of video? Can you edit the mage/video before upload?

Button #5:
    I have no idea at all what is one does. It looks like an SD card icon so it may have something to do with storage but exactly what I have no idea. A description of what it does and how it is used would be helpful.

Button #6:
    No idea in the world what this icon is or what it does. I've never seen thsi icon in any other app.

Button #7:
    This is the only button the s on the right side on the tray. It appear to be the standard download icon. I am going to assume it oes download the selected file(s). I am not sue what the use woudl be though.