The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Webmail access link is BROKEN within cPanel on all servers...

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by jols, Feb 5, 2010.

1. jols

jols Well-Known Member

The webmail access link is broken within cPanel on all servers (as far as I can tell) after last nights update. We are getting a lot of support calls due to this.

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You didn't specify what version you are running.

I'm running cPanel 11.25.0-R43252 - WHM 11.25.0 - X 3.9 on three servers and am having no such problem.

1. my webmail link directly inside the cPanel interface (to access the main account email) works fine.
    2. if I click on "email Accounts" and then select to go to webmail for one of the accounts that is created, the link works fine.

so this may be specific to the version you are running - which is why it would be good for you to post exactly what version you are running.

Mike

3. jols

jols Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply.

We're running:

cPanel 11.25.0-R43252 - WHM 11.25.0 - X 3.9
    REDHAT Enterprise 5.4

And specifically it's the More drop-down menu that no longer works, i.e. our customers can no longer get the menu to drop down after going to cPanel ---> Email Accounts ---> More

4. jols

jols Well-Known Member

We are also having a problem with the custom icons for Fantastico and what not, no longer showing up. Running the following at shell does not help:

/usr/local/cpanel/bin/rebuild_sprites

5. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

Well, looks like a strange issue to me. Have your hosting company OR cPanel support to look into it. BTW, what error you receive when you click on Webmail link?

6. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Do you get a javascript error? I could not replicate this in safari or firefox.

7. jols

jols Well-Known Member

We're using FireFox on a mac, as many of our hosted members do.

The custom icons issue has been fixed, but the More menu in Email Accounts still does not drop down to show any selections. We don't get any error, its just as if the More menu has become a nonfunctional graphic.

I am making out another trouble ticket now just for this one issue.

8. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Check to make sure that your themes or cjt have not been marked immutable. It sounds like one is being updated, but not the other.

Code:
    lsattr -R /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/x3
    lsattr -R /usr/local/cpanel/base/cjt
    If the immutable bit is set it will show up like this:
    ---i---------- test

You can remove by with chattr -i

Note: It is perfectly normal to see an A bit (------A------- )

9. jols

jols Well-Known Member

Actually, we discovered the resolution, but here is the real problem:

Some time ago cPanel.net decided to push the default email quota up to 250mb. Some months later we discovered that several accounts we host were 100% full, i.e. their entire hosted account space on the server, was full due to unattended 250mb email accounts full up with junk email.

Also, we were noticing more and more complaints that came in like, "How come my Outlook can no longer receive email from my account???"

Okay, Number 1 -- Outlook for one chokes if there is much more than 20 or 30mb of email data on the server. Chokes, goes corrupt, dies.

Number 2 -- We are not another of those complete frauds that claim to offer UNLIMITED sized hosting accounts. This is a bit of marketing fantasy that we will never participate in. Yes, we offer reasonably sized accounts, but not unlimited. Okay?

Thus with cPanel.net pushing the default email quota up to 250mb they are forcing something on us, basically a lot of problems, which are, well flatly intolerable.

Plus, there is no way to set the default email quota in WHM (which stinks to high-heaven), so, as a result we have been forced to manually edit the following files and then lock them so the next cPanel update will not undo our work in this regard:

/usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/x3/mail/pops.html
    /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/x3/mail/addpop.html
    /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/x3/mail/popsinclude.html

So, now we are unlocking these files, doing a force update, then re-editing these files and locking them up again.

Cpanel is a great system, but in this one regard it really sucks having to do this when someone at cpanel.net has apparently decide for us that 250mb would be a good default quota for ALL the email accounts we host. Sucks, stinks, causes an inordanent amount of support calls, and now a huge mess with this recent update.

If you happen to have a better approach to finally resolve this issue, I would love to see it, putting in an include file somewhere, modifying a template??? I would much rather be doing anything else right now than this.

Thank you.

#9 jols, Feb 6, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  10. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi jols,

There are actually two cases open on this issue (adding configurable mail quota defaults):

case 38210
    case 31994

They are currently targeted for 11.25.1.

11. jols

jols Well-Known Member

Thanks Nick,

Yeah, I know about the one. Hasn't one of these been open for over two years?

Anyway, I am not sure about your target date, would that be next November?

In any case, perhaps I'll go into a coma, then wake up on 11.25.1 (?), log into one of our WHMs, and be all happy again.

Thanks for your response and for the general increases in responsiveness we've seen from you guys at cpanel.net lately, this has been a real plus that keeps us goin around here.

12. jols

jols Well-Known Member

Ohhh I get it, you mean by cPanel version 11.25.1.

Good, this is great news.

13. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Important cPanel/WHM Version Number Designation Change

Please Note: Important cPanel/WHM Version Number Designation Change

As of July 28, 2010 the cPanel/WHM version number designations have been officially changed.

Version 11.25.1 is now designated 11.28 and version 11.25.2 is now designated 11.30.

These new changes were explained in some detail recently at the July 2010 - Quarterly Road map - Webinar direct from cPanel's PodCast Studio in Houston, Texas with speakers David Grega and Mario Rodriguez.

An official press release about these changes is forthcoming and can be accessed at this link as soon as it's made available to the Forum Team:
    Important cPanel/WHM Version Number Designation Change (To be updated)

This post serves to update users who are subscribed to threads (where this message is posted) looking forward to upcoming enhancements in future versions of cPanel.