The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

webmail bug with cpanel

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by sirbrent, Sep 30, 2008.

1. sirbrent

sirbrent Well-Known Member

I post this under cPanel, and then realized it should probably go here:

Hello! I have recently setup cPanel WHM on my VPS, and am loving it (coming from plesk).

I am however experiencing a bug with the webmail implementation.

When a new cPanel account is created (by default having no email accounts setup) and a user logs in and clicks the webmail button (and then clicking a webmail app to use) they are logged into an account that doesnt exist. This is also happens if a user is logged into cPanel and during session goes to webmail directory/subdomain.

Scenario:

Create a new cPanel user in WHM with account name of "thisperson", with a domain of "exampledomain.com"

Client logs into cPanel and clicks Webmail button, and then clicks on webmail app to use.

User is automatically logged into webmail as thisperson@exampledomain.com. EVEN THOUGH this mailbox does not exist!

Also, even when they do create a mail account the webmail button still acts as mentioned above (launching into a non-existent account).
    I dont see how the webmail button has any functionality at all in this case, also a big problem if the user attempts to access webmail directory without logging out of cPanel first.

Is this a problem only I am experiencing? My VPS is very shiny and new, with very few changes made.

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated!

On a side note, is there a way to set a a specific webmail app to "auto-load" by default, system wide?

2. sirbrent

nobody else has this problem, or knows a work around?

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Bugs should be posted here: http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/

When an account is created on your server, a default system "email" is setup. For the system, not for public use.

4. sirbrent

Thanks for the link. I am aware of the bugzilla here.

I am uncertain if this is a "bug" or not, which is why I asked if other people experience the same behavior. Perhaps its something in my configuration/installation of WHM/cPanel.

I will post this to bugzilla but if anyone has any information about, or a solution to, this issue I would GREATLY appreciate it!

5. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As Infopro stated, the cPanel account automatically has an email account. You can find the maildir for it at ~/mail

Email sent to thisperson@exampledomain.com (using your example) will be sent to the system account thisperson, which resides at /home/thisperson/mail (otherwise known as ~/mail).

Some of this behavior can be changed, however the email account does exist.