Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

webmail bug with cpanel

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by sirbrent, Sep 30, 2008.

1. sirbrent

sirbrent Well-Known Member

I post this under cPanel, and then realized it should probably go here:

Hello! I have recently setup cPanel WHM on my VPS, and am loving it (coming from plesk).

I am however experiencing a bug with the webmail implementation.

When a new cPanel account is created (by default having no email accounts setup) and a user logs in and clicks the webmail button (and then clicking a webmail app to use) they are logged into an account that doesnt exist. This is also happens if a user is logged into cPanel and during session goes to webmail directory/subdomain.

Scenario:

Create a new cPanel user in WHM with account name of "thisperson", with a domain of "exampledomain.com"

Client logs into cPanel and clicks Webmail button, and then clicks on webmail app to use.

User is automatically logged into webmail as thisperson@exampledomain.com. EVEN THOUGH this mailbox does not exist!

Also, even when they do create a mail account the webmail button still acts as mentioned above (launching into a non-existent account).
    I dont see how the webmail button has any functionality at all in this case, also a big problem if the user attempts to access webmail directory without logging out of cPanel first.

Is this a problem only I am experiencing? My VPS is very shiny and new, with very few changes made.

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated!

On a side note, is there a way to set a a specific webmail app to "auto-load" by default, system wide?

2. sirbrent

nobody else has this problem, or knows a work around?

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Bugs should be posted here: http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/

When an account is created on your server, a default system "email" is setup. For the system, not for public use.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. sirbrent

Thanks for the link. I am aware of the bugzilla here.

I am uncertain if this is a "bug" or not, which is why I asked if other people experience the same behavior. Perhaps its something in my configuration/installation of WHM/cPanel.

I will post this to bugzilla but if anyone has any information about, or a solution to, this issue I would GREATLY appreciate it!

5. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As Infopro stated, the cPanel account automatically has an email account. You can find the maildir for it at ~/mail

Email sent to thisperson@exampledomain.com (using your example) will be sent to the system account thisperson, which resides at /home/thisperson/mail (otherwise known as ~/mail).

Some of this behavior can be changed, however the email account does exist.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...