SOLVED Webmail can't handle that much email in inbox?

Operating System & Version
linux
cPanel & WHM Version
88.0 (build 13)

Samir

Mar 16, 2006
After something broke on my host's side with accessing the inbox of the default account via webmail, this is what they are telling me:
"Webmail can't handle that much email in inbox, we see in your screenshot is it 289,161 emails."

Is this actually true or just 'an answer'?

The default email account is still receiving emails as my phone's default imap client can see them. The account doesn't have an limits, and under server information I don't see any memory or disk limits being approached. Cpanel version is "88.0 (build 13)". All other email accounts work fine--it's just the default.

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

andrew.n

Jun 9, 2020
EU
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Yes this can be true and the default mailbox under each account could function as catch-all. Login to cPanel and under Email Accounts have a look at the size of the account. If it has more than 200k mails the size could be significant. You can try to login using the other webmail clients or clearing up the emails manually using the File Manager.

Samir

Mar 16, 2006
Thank you for the reply!

Are there any hard directory file limits like there are on windows systems? Then this would definitely make sense. Otherwise is it more of a storage issue versus a webmail issue since each email is just a file?

Samir

Mar 16, 2006
So I just checked a system that is regularly trying to open the default mailbox because roundcube is open on it, and saw the inbox opened. I tried to open a message in another tab and got the following message: "Unexpected condition from IMAP server, closed or corrupt connection to IMAP. Possible mailbox corruption."

Otherwise, all the messages were listing like normal. I attempted to refresh the inbox and got the "Server Error! (OK)" message again. Thoughts?

Samir

Mar 16, 2006
Login to cPanel and under Email Accounts have a look at the size of the account. If it has more than 200k mails the size could be significant. You can try to login using the other webmail clients or clearing up the emails manually using the File Manager.
The size is showing 18.08GB, but with a limit of unlimited and under my server information, it shows:

Disk / (/) 73%

so I doesn't look like disk space is the issue?

There are only Horde and Roundcube installed for webmail clients and both have an error when accessing the inbox. I tried to look at mail/cur (which I believe is the default inbox) in the cpanel file manager and after a while it returns 'data error'. I tried to look at other 'cur' folders and would run into the same error. Does the file manager not allow looking at 'cur' folders? I am able to look at sentmail folders fine.

Thank you again for your assistance!

andrew.n

Jun 9, 2020
EU
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Its about the number of files. The number of inodes (i.e files) could be an issue. You can check the total count with "df -i" as well as you can enable it to show inside cPanel under statistics in each account. It can be enabled from WHM under Tweak Settings.

As for the file manager the mail folders starts with a dot like ".cur" etc...so it can be hidden from File Manager but I'm sure there is also an option to "unhide" these.

Samir

Mar 16, 2006
Thank you for the reply. The more I research this, the more angry I get that my hosting company isn't doing their job and I'm having to figure this out on my own. Nevertheless...

I think this is some sort of corruption issue as I seem to get intermittent connections to the inbox from either roundcube or horde. What is dovecot and how could that play into this issue? I've seen references to it in other threads with similar issues.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Either way if you don't have root access to the system you wouldn't be able to resolve mailbox corruption issues on your own if that were the case. While there are no hard limits for mailboxes, the issue with mail as @andrew.n eludes to is inodes and that very well could be the problem. Unfortunately It's super difficult to tell you exactly what the issue is with this information. The provider would need to provide you log information/errors at the very least.

Samir

Mar 16, 2006
Thank you for the reply. I noticed that the inbox would intermittently list at random. But when trying to read any message I would get the following message which I shared with the host "Unexpected condition from IMAP server, closed or corrupt connection to IMAP. Possible mailbox corruption." They are now investigating the corruption issue.

I looked at what logs I had access to under logs/roundcube but there wasn't anything about this error.

Samir

Mar 16, 2006
The problem was resolved. The issue was that the 'The IMAP server was not allocating enough memory'.

Thank you for all the replies!

Reactions: cPanelLauren